• 1 Post By geeteeohguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
CONFUSED Muncie M20

Help Muncie M20 out of 1970 GTO I pulled it because it was leaking from the front hole for the cluster gear shaft. This is a relatively common leak on Muncies, particularly given their age and the mileage on them. So I drained the fluid out of it and found some metal attached to the magnetic plug turns out it was the Strut key that goes to the hub. I went ahead and ordered the new Muncie Zero Rock Slider and Hardened Hub Assembly. I thought I could put some Permatex 51813 Anaerobic Gasket Maker on the Cluster gear shaft to fix the leak. Wanted to get your opinion if I should rebuild my existing or find another Trans ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zero rock and slider Hub.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	116069   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3508.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	116071   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3513.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	116073   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3503.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	116075  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 03:56 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
That front hub gear is rough. It'll need to be replaced. The synchro teeth on the synchro and rear behind it look worn, as well. That said, the common cluster shaft leak is best fixed by boring and sleeving the case. What guys like me tend to do is to lay a bead of sealer around the circumference of the shaft hole (not getting any on the shaft itself), and when you install the trans, it will seal up against the bell housing. This is not a pressurized system, so it won't leak any oil if repaired that way. You can also make a thin rubber gasket and use that. Just about ALL original Muncie cases weep a bit of oil at this spot unless sealed up or re-bushed. Go online to 5speeds.com for comprehensive overhaul videos that are free to view. Excellent stuff.
Cory Wood likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the reply Just wondering why you don't get none on the shaft ? It does not turn and I am ordering the parts I need through 5 speeds Paul The new Muncie Zero-Rok Slider and Hub and Struts and springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in