Drop Gearbox to Replace/Repair 4 spd HURST? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Drop Gearbox to Replace/Repair 4 spd HURST?

Hi Folks. I am a new member with a 1965 GTO coupe tripower.. ( see my intro )

today the shift lever weld failed and it came off in my hand.

If i have to replace, Is it necessary to drop the trans completely to replace the shifter unit?

thanks very much Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02002.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	85905   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02003.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	85913   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02004.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	85921  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Yea, I'd say that needs replacing.
You'll need to support the trans and remove the X member for better shifter access.
Having a lift makes it far easier, but if not get her up as high/safe as possible.

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:17 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
You should not have to drop the trans. I don't recall having to move the crossmember out of the way on any of the cars I pulled the shifter out of.

Put your trans mission in neutral. Pull the clips off the rods and let the linkage rods hang (sometimes I simply unbolt the linkage tabs/nuts that bolt to the trans shift forks rather than pull the spring clips on the shift linkage). There are 2 bolts at the shifter which attach it to the support plate attached to the trans. One long through bolt at the top of the shifter and one shorter at the bottom near the shifter linkages. If need be, you can easily remove the spring clips from the linkages at the shifter and remove them out of the way to give you a little more access.

My '68 Service Manual process for trans removal states to "Disconnect shift control rods from shifter levers. Remove two levers and bracket to extension support screws and remove manual shift lever and bracket." This is step 3, which is before trans removal, so you should not have to remove trans or unbolt it from the crossmember.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
True it can be done with X member in place, But IMO it's far easier to access, remove, Install and adjust with it out of the way.
I just support the trans remove the 6 bolts and slide to back. This really helps if you don't have a lift.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66 4spd.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	85985  

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thank you all extremely helpful was able to get it out easily without pulling the crossmember. i dissassembled the whole shifter unit... and had the stick re-welded. now the challenge is to get the pieces back together in a functional way!..... does anyone know where an exploded diagram is for a standard OEM 4 spd hurst shifter? i searched and could not find thanks again this forum is amazing... frank
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Attached is an exploded diagram of a 1966 OEM shifter. You might have to save it & then zoom in for more detail. The 64-66 Hurst OEMís are the same. The diagram only shows the parts and not specifics for reassembly, so I hope you took notes and marked where stuff goes. The shifter levers have numbers on them & go in certain order, though you can figure that out from the diagram; the shifter plates must also be in the proper order by size.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shifter pic.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	86009  

Last edited by shader; 01-24-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: other info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in