Frame condition question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Frame condition question

Hey guys, I am curious about frames. After a small decison based on misinofrmation, i had orignally purchased a replacement frame for me 1968 GTO convertible, but discovered that I had gotton a hardtop fromae and not a convertible frame. I have since sold the hardtop frame and picked up a propert convertible frame for my car.

When I first look at the convertible chasis frame it was still on the donar car. The auto dismantler lifeted the car witha fork lift and let me look and poke around the frame. At the time I viewed the frame, it appeared to be in pretty good conditon, not withstanding a little surface rust and dirt. I did not see any rot, repair patches, or damage.

Then when I came to pick up the frame a couple days later, the auto dismantler had the bare frame on the ground; and then I notice a small dent in the top rail on the rear rear driver side of the frame. The dent is on the top of the frame rail only, spands the width of the frame rail, is about 2" wide, and the side of the rail has a very slight bulge. Other than this small dent the frame looks great.

Can any one tell me whether this small dent is going to be a problem with the frame? It appears that only the top rail has the dent and looks like the dent might have been caused by a fork lift. Is this something that can be easily fixed or is this frame shot?

I have included a few photos, 1) is viewing top rail from directly above frame, 2) is top rail from rear wheels towards rear 3) is side rail with view of top rail, and 4)bottom rail directly underneath, showing the buldge in side rail.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111112_152354-1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	12925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111112_152523-1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	12926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111112_152449-1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	12927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111112_152428-1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	12928  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 07:48 PM

i guess it depends on if they knock off some money for damaging it. it will take some heating and somebody that is pretty handy with some big hammers to get it back right.

interesting its right at the numbers. what if while you are heating and beating it the numbers are ruined.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Strange dent....it is fixable. It looks sort of fresh (on the top) yet lightly rusty. Could have happened when the fork lift lifted the body off the car. Like Shane said...I would check to see if the numbers will be affected by the repair....Eric

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
repairable, but should get a discount on the frame purchase.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:36 PM

Frames are pretty tough, I don't think a fork lift could have caused that damage unless they dropped the body from a long ways in the air on the frame while they were removing it. Before you take heat and hammers to it set the frame on a level floor on 4 jack stands set at the same height.
Locate the front stands behind where the frame starts to run parallel to the body. Locate rear stands forward of where frame curves up for rear differential. Once set up take a tape measurer and compare height from floor to end of rear frame rails, should be same for both sides. My guess is the damaged side will be higher. Looks to me donor car was hit in the rear at one time or another. If the damaged rail is higher on the end just removing the buckle with heat and a hammer won't fix the height issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondobill View Post
Frames are pretty tough, I don't think a fork lift could have caused that damage unless they dropped the body from a long ways in the air on the frame while they were removing it. Before you take heat and hammers to it set the frame on a level floor on 4 jack stands set at the same height.
Locate the front stands behind where the frame starts to run parallel to the body. Locate rear stands forward of where frame curves up for rear differential. Once set up take a tape measurer and compare height from floor to end of rear frame rails, should be same for both sides. My guess is the damaged side will be higher. Looks to me donor car was hit in the rear at one time or another. If the damaged rail is higher on the end just removing the buckle with heat and a hammer won't fix the height issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck
I did measure the frame diagonally from one corner to the other and it came out to be less than 1/8" off. I too thought maybe the donor car was hit in the rear, but what confused me is that there appears to be no other damage....no damage to the bottom rail, no damage to the cross menber at the very rear of the frame, and no damage anywhere else that I could see. It seems to me, that if it were kissed in the rear, there would be signs of damge somewhere, like on the corresponding rear corner (where it is not boxed in) or on the rear cross member or somewhere.

Anyways, my body and frame guy seems to think it can be fixed for around $600. Fortunately I got a decent enough deal on the frame that in the end I should have a very nice frame (straight, powder coated, correct for convertible, etc) for an average price.

Last edited by mrvandermey; 11-21-2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typos
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds good to me...if it is square, and strong (properly repaired) you should be fine. I still think the damaged was caused during disassembly. It doesn't even look too bad. Eric

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 PM

disassembly damage. really annoying when you find a good part and it is damaged before you can get your hands on it.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Well I did a little more research on my frame issue. I obtained a factory frame dimension chart with all the measurements for a '68 GTO/tempest frame. So I pulled out the good old measuring tape to take a few measurements. I discovered that overall the frame looks good but I did discover however, that my measurements are off by between 1/8"-1/4" and that on that one rail there are a few spots that seem like "buldges" in the side rail (only between rear wheel and rear of frame). Now I am not an expert but I believe based on what I am told that this can fixed. Any opinions on whether I should get this frame fixed or keep looking for another frame?

I got the frame for $400 and am told it will be approx $600-$800 to repair (and then another $600 to powder coat). I am just wondering is it worth fixing? For are small buldges and 1/8"-1/4" off on just the rear of the frame a big deal?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM

if the center section crosses out fine then it is a very easy fix for someone with the proper equipment. i know this stuff can get expensive but that is a half day job if you go slow. it is especially easy to set up a bare frame. i would shop around. did the quote come over the phone or did somebody actually look at it?

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in