LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Frame swap compatability

Hello,
New here.
I have a 69 Custom S convertible with some frame issues that are being uncovered...bondo and rust issues.
I know convertibles have the boxed frame and hardtops do not...but...
Hellwig Frame FX frame support for A-Body GMs looks to make a hardtop frame stronger than a stock ragtop frame.
The kit is reasonable at under 400. bucks and a nice hardtop frame can be had for around 2 grand. My welding skills are good so I can see a good savings and a stronger less flexing frame.
Does anyone see a problem with doing it this way?
Hellwigs tech is off till monday and just looking for some help.
Thanks for your time and Happy Holidays,
AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum! Am sure you have noted, there are numerous A-body frame boxing "kits" on the market. At least Hellwig's has a facsimile of the original pockets used on '68+ convert frames to allow different positioning of a factory transmission crossmember. As far as the extra inboard mount creating a stronger frame, not sure I'd go that far.

At the overall cost you are referencing, $2400 + shipping of the Hellwig boxing kit, the total is fairly steep. what part of the country are you in that a clean normal unboxed 112" frame is $2000? Nice clean typical '68, 69, 70, & '71-72 non boxed 2 door A body frames are well under a $1000 in my region. Nice clean '68, 69, 70, & '71-72 convert A-body frames typically retail in same area for $1000-1400. I've hauled numerous frames up north on trips that way. There are sellers that love to blast 'em, powder coat them, & throw them on eBay for double that price...& am sure they occasionally get a desperate taker. Having retailed & wholesaled many dozens of original A body frames, just throwing out my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in