Help with wheel wobble on HD 8.2 axle - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help with wheel wobble on HD 8.2 axle

I picked up a rear end out of a trashed Chevelle that needed some work. He said it wasn't original to the car and after getting it home and running the numbers found that its a 68-69 4 pinion Safe-t-Track with the nodular housing. 3.55 gears. I slapped it into my car and took it around the block. Bad pinion whine when coasting. Pinion preload had come loose. Also noticed the driver side wheel would wobble slightly. Figured a bent axle. Tore down the whole thing, cleaned up with new bearings and seals. Picked up an axle out of another nodular 10 bolt housing from a 69 Grand Prix. Tested the axle on the passenger side after installing new bearing and no wobble. Finished the rebuild, slid the axles in and went for a test drive. Still wobbling on drivers side. Swapped wheels and even drums. Still wobbles but only on the drivers side. Now questioning whether the original one was even bent. This is the first BOP axle I've had to work on so I figured I ask some Pontiac pros for their thoughts.

TLDR: driver side wheel wobbles even with new axle and different wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
You've already changed everything. Only thing I can imagine now is a bad carrier/bearing. But how could that be? This makes no sense...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 09:22 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
There are only a few factors that would cause a wheel to wobble. Since you have eliminated a bent wheel, & pressed a new bearing on an unworn axle, & still have wobble, you could totally eliminate an axle & the tested straight wheel from the equation by jacking up the vehicle, swapping the passenger side axle into drivers side of the rear & vice versa. If the drivers side wheel/tire still exhibit a wobble, I'm betting the cones are worn to such a degree in the 4 pinion carrier that there is some up & down movement at the inboard (splined) end of the axle. This is an oddity, won't see this with a single track carrier or a clutch type posi carrier.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went out and swapped the axles this afternoon after I got home from work. Still wobbles only on the driver side. Didn't crack open the carrier when I did the rebuild because it would still spin both tires and no shop around here would touch it. Not sure where to go from here. Thought it would be a sturdy rear end for street use so the rebuild was no big deal. Only paid $80 for the whole rear end, don't know if I should dump another $400 for a new auburn unit, or just try to find a 12 bolt locally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in