How much frame and body movement is ok? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much frame and body movement is ok?

I have a 67 GTO convertible. It's my first convertible and I know they are known for body flex but I just wanted some opinions on this. I've had the car on jack stands for various projects the last few months and I've noticed a lot of movement in some cases.

I'd say the worst case is when I would put my jack under the rearmost section of the frame right in front of the wheel well. When I lift both sides evenly there are no issues but if it's only one side then the body flexes so much it increases the gap on the rear of the door more than 1/4 inch or so.

Is this much flex normal or do I have some serious issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
It doesn't sound too abnormal at all. Even the hardtops and coupes flex a little when you jack up one corner. My '67 post coupe (arguably the stiffest body style) flexes some if I jack up one corner. The convertible has to flex more than that! My '69 Corvette convertible flexed to the point you couldn't open the door, yet the car was solid as a rock on the road without a squeak or rattle anywhere.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Last edited by chuckha62; 10-16-2013 at 11:19 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Is your frame boxed?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I assume it's the standard boxed convertible frame. It looks like it's in good shape but it's hard to tell what's inside the areas I can't see.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 01:04 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
I have a '67 GTO convertible and have had it 30 years. It flexes enough so that you don't want to open/close the doors when it's on a lift. Totally normal. Note that the convertibles have screw on rub pads at the upper door openings for just this reason. No worries. If you want flex, try driving a newer Firebird/Camaro or Mustang convertible. Terrible.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for putting me at ease. I guess it's pretty normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in