Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How to remove body from frame
Hi guys, now that I am nearly done sanding car down to bare metal and then priming it (to protect it); and I have the front and rear suspension off car, I am looking to start cleaning and maybe painting frame and underneath side of body.
Here is what I have available to me:
1) Two guys (me and my adult son)
2) a 2 ton engine hoist
3) a large floor jack with 2 small floor jacks, and 1 small hydraulic jack
4) 10 adjustable jackstands
5) a 3-car garage (currently car is in center stall)
6) a 4-ton portable winch
7) an assortment of hand tools (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc)
8) few power tools (drills, impact hammer, and some saws)
9) a set of 4 wheel dollies (adjustable)
10) an engine stand (not likely relevant here).
11) a '68 GTO convertible (currently with no engine, tranny, front suspension, rear end, front clip, or interior).
I know there are approx. 10 bolts (body bushings) that need to be removed (I think they are accessible from underneath car). I am looking into getting a set of door braces. But with the tools. manpower and space I have, how do I physically separate the body from frame?