Installing 3/8" Fuel Line With Body on Frame - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Installing 3/8" Fuel Line With Body on Frame

Hello, hoping to get some guidance or advise on installing new fuel line. I have a 1965 Pontiac GTO with 5/16" fuel line. Car was previously restored, but they replaced the original 5/16" fuel line with the same size. It has a 1971 built Pontiac 455 and I want to upgrade to 3/8" fuel line and add a Holley mechanical fuel pump. My question is, how hard is it to replace the fuel line with the body on the car? When I ordered the fuel line, I was told I'd have to loosen the left rear bolt (that attaches the body to the frame) to get the fuel line over the frame. I was wondering if I get 4 jack stands that extend up to about 2 feet, would that work for installing the fuel line? I'm hoping to learn how to install the 3/8" fuel line by removing the 5/16" fuel line. I'd appreciate any guidance or advise before I try to tackle this task. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 09:11 AM

Change the sending unit in tank to a 3/8 as well .
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

I do have a 3/8" fuel sending unit ready to go in as well. Thanks.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I did this job on my 66 lemans last year, I don't recall if I had to take a body bolt off, think i just slipped it behind and over but I have it on the proper factory routing. the hard part is having room to work.

and you must slip in the back of the line and don't bolt it down...easier with the gas tank out as you can move the line and turn it as you have to navigate it through the front frame...so you go in the back....then at front send a snake through the frame from the front of the car and tie the line to it.....solidly...

duct tape...strong wire even better and thinner.....you will need a helper one to feed it through and one to pull on the front end...

I did it on a lift, but on a creeper about 3 feet up, standing would be even better...

the line has some flex but don't kink it...with it not fastened in the back you can flex and move it and turn it to get it through the front frame...go slow...

you will get it...I had two lines a a feed and a return....some cars AC had those and it keep fuel cooler....but you will get it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in