• 1 Post By GTOJUNIOR
  • 1 Post By PontiacJim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Limited Slip ID needed

I am not that familiar with the various types of LSD and lockers out there, so asking for some help. Can you tell by this photo what type (and brand) of limited slip/locker I have here? And the real question, therefore... exactly what lubricant should I use with it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diff 05.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	121005  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
it looks like a factory four-pinion ,safe T trac, limited slip ,cone style , from a nodular rear differential
installed in a 66-70 pontiac GTO with a 8.2 ring gear ......
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK69JUDGE View Post
it looks like a factory four-pinion ,safe T trac, limited slip ,cone style , from a nodular rear differential
installed in a 66-70 pontiac GTO with a 8.2 ring gear ......
Thanks! Now... about that lubricant?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denrael View Post
Thanks! Now... about that lubricant?
I am eager to see some responses on this as well. I have a similar differential. I have some old non-synthetic Napa gear oil and a bottle of additive for limited slip that I may use. I have not changed out the fluid yet because I'm waiting for advice on the forum here. When I first called Ames to see what they had, the person on the phone told me they only had a synthetic gear oil and that they had received many complaints about it. He suggested I leave the differential alone if it is not giving me trouble. Obviously, yours is already opened up so you need an answer soon. I'm still debating whether or not to open mine to change out the 30 year old fluid and check for debris. It has been run very hard and then sat for 15 or so years. I plan to run it hard again in the near future so thought fresh gear oil may be a good idea. Still thinking it over.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
I prefer the real oil/lube made for these differentials, Your service manual should have the oil spec.
You can still get the ACDelco Posi additive and/or I use 80W90 with CRC Posi additive which is good stuff.
michaelfind likes this.

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 06:25 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfind View Post
I am eager to see some responses on this as well. I have a similar differential. I have some old non-synthetic Napa gear oil and a bottle of additive for limited slip that I may use. I have not changed out the fluid yet because I'm waiting for advice on the forum here. When I first called Ames to see what they had, the person on the phone told me they only had a synthetic gear oil and that they had received many complaints about it. He suggested I leave the differential alone if it is not giving me trouble. Obviously, yours is already opened up so you need an answer soon. I'm still debating whether or not to open mine to change out the 30 year old fluid and check for debris. It has been run very hard and then sat for 15 or so years. I plan to run it hard again in the near future so thought fresh gear oil may be a good idea. Still thinking it over.

Do not use a synthetic gear oil in the older rear ends - it is used in later model cars. Use an 80W90 gear oil, store brand or other. I use Lucas products for gear oils. You will want to add a bottle of the posi additive for proper operation. Most forums say you may experience "chatter" from the posi unit if you don't add it.
michaelfind likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in