User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
M20 transmission

hi all Rob hear great site im doing a frame off restoration of a 1968 gto what i would like to know is if the m22 is original to the car the case number is 3925660 P8R03, tailshaft number 3857584 input shaft has 10 spline 2 rings output shaft has 26 side cover number is 3884685 ok the car was made in november 3 week it has a posi rear end with 355 gears i hope this is enough info thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
whats the vin # stamped ........ ?? on the tranny .........

m-20 with 2 rings

R is october .... kinda late for a 68

studs holding the levers on or bolts into the case holding the shift levers...

kinda doesnt matter but Im curious

Scott
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:18 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman101 View Post
hi all Rob hear great site im doing a frame off restoration of a 1968 gto what i would like to know is if the m22 is original to the car the case number is 3925660 P8R03, tailshaft number 3857584 input shaft has 10 spline 2 rings output shaft has 26 side cover number is 3884685 ok the car was made in november 3 week it has a posi rear end with 355 gears i hope this is enough info thanks all

You should have a partial VIN number stamped on the transmission that matches the engine VIN.

Here is a pretty good site that may help. It is aimed at the Chevelle, but will still give you all the info you need: https://www.chevellestuff.net/qd/muncie.htm

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

m2o transmission

good article took the wire wheel to the case no partial vin any wear not even any grind marks wear someone would of removed them on the side cover it has studs and nuts to hold linkage on but the tail housing has a bolt that holds the linkage on thanks all
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
major clue there

69 azz end .......69 case ... 68 side cover or shifter forks n hardware from the original tranny

the partial vin will /should be .. within a couple inches of the date stamp
smaller than the date stamp .. and closer to the mid plate ////

or

on top facing the floor of the car ... right against the bell housing...

I have seen some early ones vin stamped on the machined surface the side cover bolts to
ON THE case .... there a little pad that hangs out next to the gasket...where the date is on this one..

so with the 69 tail shaft and lever that makes it a little tough t o get the back up
lite switch to work.....68 only style,,,,

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9250384.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	121893   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9250385.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	121895   Click image for larger version

Name:	694speedx-over70doorseal 037.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	709.4 KB
ID:	121897  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

i see the back up light will be a problem my shiftier dose not have that hole did 1968 gto come with a neutral safety switch this car was raced a little by my brother in vary early 80's its been off the road since 77 this is a frame off restoration i.m doing the frame is painted i.m in the process of putting a complete floor with rockers in so many spot welds thanks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
i see the back up light will be a problem my shiftier dose not have that hole did 1968 gto come with a neutral safety switch this car was raced a little by my brother in vary early 80's its been off the road since 77 this is a frame off restoration i.m doing the frame is painted i.m in the process of putting a complete floor with rockers in so many spot welds thanks
If original, and not a 4-speed conversion, the trans had a back-up switch fitted to it. You should still have the wiring somewhere in sight? There are different styles.

I believe Ames may have it. Hurst sells a bracket/switch that will work. Ebay seems to have a few types, and there are universal set-up that can be fitted. You want to make sure you have all the matching components for each style of switch. The Hurst looks to be the simplest to install/use.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
He has the bellcrank for the switch on his reverse selector arm in the pic....the rod and the switch are gone, though.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

great guys making progress went thru boxes of parts found the original 68 shifter with back up light switch and wire harness now the problem i have is the neutral safety switch does anyone have pic of how it mounts and maybe parts list this is for a 68 thanks Rob
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
great guys making progress went thru boxes of parts found the original 68 shifter with back up light switch and wire harness now the problem i have is the neutral safety switch does anyone have pic of how it mounts and maybe parts list this is for a 68 thanks Rob

Don't believe there is a neutral safety switch - that's for automatics. I think the neutral safety switch is when the trans is in neutral or you push in your clutch pedal in case you left it in gear. That's what I'm thinking, but I could be wrong.
simpleman101 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in