Motor Mount replacement question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Motor Mount replacement question

I am new to the forum. I am having an issue I am unable to solve and wanted to get some input from the experts before I go down the wrong road. I have a 1966 Tempest with a 400 from a 1974 Firebird. Last winter I replaced the 4 speed Muncie with a Tremec 5 speed, hydraulic clutch, new bell housing, flywheel, oil pan, Vintage AC and a couple of other minor tweaks. I SHOULD HAVE replaced the motor mounts at that time but did not. I am having a clearance problem with my centerlink rubbing on the oil pan. I want to correct this problem.

I am planning on replacing the motor mounts now and then add a 1/8 inch shim between the cross member and frame mounts in hope this will solve my clearance issue. Well I removed the long bolt from the motor mounts and removed the bolts that hold the motor mounts to the block. I attached my engine lift and was trying to raise the engine a few inches to remove the old motor mounts and then remove the frame mounts as well. However as I start to lift the engine it is not freely raising and I donít want to force it causing some other problem.

When I raised the engine last winter, I had the tranny and bell housing removed and engine raised easily as I need to raise it to install the new oil pan. I was hoping I do not need to remove the driveshaft, tranny, bell housing just to get the engine up a couple of inches for the motor mount replacement. I have removed the exhaust from the exhaust manifold, loosened the tranny center mount bolts and cannot find anything binding anywhere.

Am I missing something? Do I need to remove the driveshaft, tranny and bell house? I hope not because it was a PITA to get the tranny seated with the new clutch and flywheel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Garage
The Tremec is much larger than the factory trans, manual/automatic. My guess is that it is hitting the floor and won't allow you to lift the engine any further.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
CThomas11,

I think PontiacJim gave you the answer, but I didn't see a reply from you. When you received the Tremec did you get a template to assist in cutting out part of the floorboard for your Tempest? If you bought it as a kit you should have gotten a template (I am assuming since American Powertrain, Silver Sport and others give you a template and the sheet metal for the patch).

If you are cobbling together all the parts on your own to save a few bucks, good on ya...you are braver than I am.

Noangelbuddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in