Muncie tranny oil slinger and counter gear - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Muncie tranny oil slinger and counter gear

I’m rebuilding a ‘65 Muncie M20 4-speed for my ‘65 GTO. I have two issues that I have run into and need answered. 1) when I disassembled the transmission, there was no oil slinger on the input shaft. I am going to add a new one, solid style, when rebuilding. Does anyone know which orientation the slinger goes onto the input shaft? The slinger is cup shaped, and I don’t know which face is supposed to be against the gear. Does the outer flat face go against the gear, or does the inner flat face go against the gear?
2) the tranny is a ‘65 M20 with 7/8” counter gear shaft. There are 4 rows of 20 needles on the counter shaft I.d.: two rows on each end of the solid (not split) spacer tube. The rebuild kit I bought came with (6) shims. I read in Paul Cangialosi’s Muncie rebuild book that if the spacer was solid, to only use 4 shims; and that none go against the spacer tube. So the order would be: shim, needles, shim, needles, spacer tube, needles, shim, needles, shim. When I build it this way, the end shims are not flush with the ends of the cluster gear, but rather indented slightly. I’d like to make sure this is correct before assembling the transmission complete. Does anyone know if I should keep it this way, or add the two remaining shims? If I should use all 6 shims, what is the order? Do I go ahead and place one shim against each end of the spacer tube before installing the first row of needles, or do I double-up the shims in between the two rows of needles?
Any help on these two issues would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in