Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.409 View Post
Hello
I just got my muncie out
Can someone tell me which oil is recommended in a muncie 4 speed
Thanks you for info
Carsten
So you are still working on your car without a Factory Service Manual which will tell you things like this?

My '68 manual says 2 1/2 pints. Lubricant level should be approximately level with bottom of filler plug hole. Use SAE 90 multi-purpose gear lubricant.
Mr.409 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
So you are still working on your car without a Factory Service Manual which will tell you things like this?

My '68 manual says 2 1/2 pints. Lubricant level should be approximately level with bottom of filler plug hole. Use SAE 90 multi-purpose gear lubricant.
Thank you for info

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.409 View Post
Thank you for info
GL4....not synthetic

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I concur with cij911
I would recommend Brad Penn grade 1 'classic' multi purpose GL-4 SAE 80w-90 gear oil. It's made specifically for old Muncie and Borg-Warner transmissions that require mineral base oils. This way your sure your getting a mineral base oil and NOT synthetic.
Ive been running this in my Muncie M-20 since putting it in the vehicle and after doing extensive research on the subject. The chassis shop manual lubrication section for synchro mesh transmissions specify's SAE 80w multi purpose gear lube where available or 90w that meets the specification MIL-L-2105B. ( in other words GL-4 ) . GL = gear load . The transmission rebuild chapter says fill with SAE 90w. Bottom line is you want a mineral base lube. There are so many products out there it's difficult to determine whats synthetic and whats mineral base so thats why I recommend the Brad Penn.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:54 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Agree with these gents. Any good non-synthetic 75w/90 gear oil. The synthetic stuff tends to be hard on the synchronizers, due to it's being too slippery for the parts to 'grab' and slow down the gears.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Agree with these gents. Any good non-synthetic 75w/90 gear oil. The synthetic stuff tends to be hard on the synchronizers, due to it's being too slippery for the parts to 'grab' and slow down the gears.
I believe it has more to do with the type of metal (but this is debatable).

Here is a great video from one of the Muncie gurus (Paul) :

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 07:28 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Garage
Ok, watched the video. Kind of skewed in his testing as I don't care how the oil pours when cold, I want to know it won't turn to water when it is hot inside the transmission and clings to the gears - kinda useless test. And gear oil whipping around in the transmission causes loss of power? Hmmm, must have been why I got beat by that Rambler with the 401CI and blower on top.

How did we ever get by in the "old days" by simply going to the parts store and picking up a bottle of 80W-90 gear lube and never questioned its molecular make-up or friction modifiers? The same stuff you put in the trans, you used in the rear end and then if you had posi, used an additive.

From my understandings, "our old" gear oil was a GL3.

So what in the hell is GL4, let alone GL5? I did a little research, so this is my opinion. The GL5 is definitely NOT what you want in your Muncie or any other "old car" manual transmission, period. It is for newer vehicles designed for such lubricants. The use of a GL-5 lubricant in a synchromesh transmission with brass synchro's will "shorten the synchronizer life by one half".

Next is the GL4. GL4 fluids may or may not be right for the older transmissions. It all depends on what additives have been introduced into the formula - with each manufacturer/supplier having their own unique formula.

The key is that you want to steer away for the letters "EP" or "XEP." EP= Extreme Pressure additives prevent seizure conditions caused by direct metal-to-metal contact between the parts under high loads. These additives can be: Chlorinated paraffins; Sulphurized fats; Esters; Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP); and Molybdenum disulfide.

Why steer away? Some which contain phosphorous/sulfurous compounds (but not all depending on the EP compound and how much is used) are corrosive to yellow metals such as the copper and/or brass used in bushings and synchronizers on the older manual transmissions.

However, most all GL4 gear oils have some form of EP compounds, so you can't really get by without them. You just want to know what the EP used is and less of it is better.

In reading online, it seems the GL4 gear oils are going the way of the GL3 that we used to use - obsoleted or more difficult to get as the GL5 and even GL6 becomes the gear oil of choice for those cars still even using a manual gear box anymore.

There are a number of choices to include synthetics that are claimed to be used with the older (Muncie) transmissions and ARE COMPATIBLE with the brass synchro rings and soft metal bushings. Looking around for recommendations I found these"

CRC Sta-Lube produces an SAE 85W90 GL-4 gear oil (SL24229) which is perfectly suited to all Muncie, Super T-10, and most T-10 4-speeds. Though originally most Muncie, Super T-10, and T-10 units came from the factory with 75W90 conventional gear lube, it is becoming very hard to find 75W90 conventional in the modern era – 80W90 and 85W90 are more commonly found and both can be safely used as a 75W90 replacement. Sta-Lube SL24229 will protect all the components in these classic 4-speeds and this includes their synchronizers. And it works very well in original Muncie, Super T-10, or T-10 units where the seals have never been replaced. And this is especially important since synthetic gear oil tends to leak out of older transmissions at a much quicker rate than conventional gear oil. https://www.crcindustries.com/produc...z-SL24229.html

Amsoil offers a GL4 Synthetic Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube that includes use with brass synchro's and for older transmissions (Muncie, T-10, Top loader, etc.) It is formulated with seal conditioners to reduce leaks. https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...r-lube-75w-90/.

Red Line offers their MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil synthetic gear oil for older transmissions. Recommended for GL-1, GL-3 and GL-4 applications and safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage. https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-90-75w90-gl-4-gear-oil

Red Line also offers the same mix in a slightly lighter oil viscosity with MT-85 75W85 GL-4 Gear Oil. https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-85-75w85-gl-4-gear-oil

Red Line also offers this mix, MTL® 75W80 GL-4 Gear Oil. https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil

There may be other options and brands as I did not try to rifle through all the blogs to see who is using what, but these above seemed to pop up more often in the older car categories. This simply gives you an idea of what to look for and options that can be used in our older manual transmissions. I miss the good old days when I could wake up and walk outside naked, reach down on the ground to that leaking spot under my Muncie, and say to the dog, "There's nothing like the smell of transmission oil in the morning."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:14 AM

The Driven oil Paul recommended gets very good reviews as well (GL4)....

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in