Pinion seal - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pinion seal

I think I have a leak coming from the pinion seal. Is this something for the shade tree mechanic or should I have a shop do the work? Is an electric impact good enough to remove the pinion nut?

Thanks,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 12:58 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Glad you asked. This is a tricky repair. It can be done at home with some finesse and luck. I have about a 75% success rate with these. The trick is to not damage the crush sleeve. If you do, you can destroy the rear end with use. You CAN NOT tighten the nut past where it is now when you re-assemble. So, you need to mark the nut for index, count the threads, and zap it off. Electric should do it. Do not tighten it with that impact gun, however....re-tighten ONLY to your reference mark. If you feel uneasy, a rear end shop can do the job, or a place like 4 Wheel Parts, that does a lot of gear swaps.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guy,

I am planning on removing the 4 speed this winter and was thinking of dealing with the leak also. See how comfortable I feel about it when the drive shaft is out.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 07:54 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
when you get the car up on a lift, and the driveshaft is out, with a pair of thick gloves on, violently push and pull on the pinion yoke and see if there is any fore-aft play, if there is you can disregard ANYTHING anyone suggests to you about marking the nut on the pinion and counting threads, as the nut is removed, to give you a benchmark to install after a new seal. Instead, the pinion has been loose for some time, and best results will come with a pro well versed in differentials, confirming the pinion is loose, and properly correcting, most likely will need a .001 thicker pinion shim, as backlash is tightened up to .010.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:50 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Anything Pinion head states about rear ends you can bank on. Great point about the gear lash, PH!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
when you get the car up on a lift, and the driveshaft is out, with a pair of thick gloves on, violently push and pull on the pinion yoke and see if there is any fore-aft play, if there is you can disregard ANYTHING anyone suggests to you about marking the nut on the pinion and counting threads, as the nut is removed, to give you a benchmark to install after a new seal. Instead, the pinion has been loose for some time, and best results will come with a pro well versed in differentials, confirming the pinion is loose, and properly correcting, most likely will need a .001 thicker pinion shim, as backlash is tightened up to .010.

Great bit of info. If that is the case off to the shop.

Happy New Year!

John
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

So, I replaced the pinion seal a couple months ago with no issues. It started to leak quite a bit a week or 2 later. Any idea why? I hate to bring it to a shop but I may have no choice.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:48 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Was the surface of the pinion flange, where the seal rides, perfectly smooth, or did it show some wear?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

The flange looked good and I had no issues installing the seal. could the yolk be bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in