PLEASE HELP! Need help with reinstall of rear end - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PLEASE HELP! Need help with reinstall of rear end

Hi guys, I need help! As you all know, I have a parts car that I just sold. The car needs to be a roller. So I am reinstalling the rear end (was able to remove old rear end and front suspension). I have managed to get 3 out of 4 of the bolts holding the rear end on into place. I have managed to get both of the lower control arms connected to frame, and I have got one of the upper control arms connected, as well as the springs. As it turns out now, it appears that the entire rear end is about 2-3 inches off center and I am not sure how to get the last bolt into place. Can anyone give me a bit of advice or tips? I need to get this done by this weekend so my buyer can pick up the car.

What is the proper order to reinstall a rear end (i.e. should the upper control arms be done first then the lower control arms, or the other way)?

Now that I have most of it done, how do I get the last one connected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 12:32 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did the lowers first then the uppers and then put the springs in it and then the shocks. The arms should self center the housing unless you are using the wrong ones.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GTO4004Spd View Post
I did the lowers first then the uppers and then put the springs in it and then the shocks. The arms should self center the housing unless you are using the wrong ones.
It is the same rear end I took out of car. Nothing has changed. So with lowers installed, can I take out springs or do I need to remove the one upper and then remove springs? Will I be able to reinstall springs if both uppers and lowers are connected?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 03:52 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Yes. Just the shocks need to be disconnected to install the springs. 1. Floor jack under the pumpkin. 2. lower arms attach to diff, slide bolts in. 3. raise jack and attach the uppers. This is a straightforward easy job, unless you have a bent part. have fun.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I ended up taking springs off, jacking up rear end, the remaining bolt for the lower control arm slid right in. Then I was able to reinstall the springs and all is good. So the rear end is done. Now on to the front suspension.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Hi guys. Well, I managed to get the front suspension off my car and mostly put on the parts car (to make it a roller). Let me tell you that was a chore in a half....the front suspension on the parts car, which was in very good condition, came off smoothly without too much trouble. But the suspension on MY car, had 40+ years of gunk and corrosion and was a living nightmare to get off. It took two days and a few ideas just to get the bolts to break free. Then to top it off, my spring compressor would not fit through the hole in the lower control arm of my parts, so that was a bit challenging.

When I reinstalled the front suspension, since the spring compressor did not fit, I could not get the front springs on to the parts car. So consequently, the parts car's front end is sitting about 1" off the ground. Anyone have a suggestion on how I can lift front end a bit, just so it rolls and is not quite so low?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Does the parts car have an engine in it? (i.e. - is it "heavy"?)

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Does the parts car have an engine in it? (i.e. - is it "heavy"?)

Bear
No, it does not. The parts car is just a body, frame and suspension. Heck there is not even a front clip or interior.

One suggestion made by a neighbor was to jam a 4x4 in between the upper and lower control arm, just enough to lift it a bit. I am doubtful of that option actually working.

So I may end up buying a set of external spring compressors to compress spring and install them in between the uppers and lowers. But that seems dangerous

Or I could buy one more internal spring compressor and sacrifice my spring compressors by compressing springs to install springs, then uncompressing springs to lift car and leaving spring compressors in springs since they do not fit through the hole in the lower control arms. Not an appealing thought.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
2x4's will work just to roll it around.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 07:20 AM

I can tell you what worked for me when I re-built the front suspension this past spring.
To be fair I do have to mention that I had new Hotchkiss 1901F springs that were a little shorter than my originals.
To install the front springs I ended up having to disassemble the spring compressor. I dropped the main bolt portion through the shock hole in the frame and inserted the spring in the pocket. (I had the spring chained to the frame (to keep the spring from potentially launching across the shop) and used only the threaded hooks on the spring to draw the spring closer to the frame spring pocket until I could get the lower control arm in place with a floor jack and then get the nuts installed on the lower ball joints.
(engine and front clip were not removed from car at that point so plenty of weight)
I am not sure if this set up will work for you. I had to get creative with the compressor to get the springs back in.
Some of the other guys with more experience may have other ideas on how to get these put together. I just made sure I was clear of the spring path and the arc of travel for the lower control arm. (even though I had it chained)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in