Rear axle hub studs - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear axle hub studs

I changed the drums to discs on my 67 resto job. Everything went fairly well. Then I ordered Outlaw II rims and Goodrich tires to put on the new 15" rotors. The rims barely fit on the rotors. The offset on the rims are 55mm. I emailed Tire Rack about this and if they had that Outlaw rim in the -6 offset and he said the better solution would be to put on longer lug studs. Does anybody know how long the original studs are? I looked in the book and it doesn't say. I want to order longer studs but want to make sure they are longer. I could go out and measure them but I thought somebody would know on this site. Any advice on how to take the studs off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:17 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
You need to measure what you have and go from there. On a 50 year old car, nothing can be taken for granted. Whenever you start modifying anything, be prepared to put in the extra work. It always snowballs....one mod usually requires 4 other things to be altered to accomodate the mod, and that can lead to additional problems.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 09:39 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS GTO View Post
I changed the drums to discs on my 67 resto job. Everything went fairly well. Then I ordered Outlaw II rims and Goodrich tires to put on the new 15" rotors. The rims barely fit on the rotors. The offset on the rims are 55mm. I emailed Tire Rack about this and if they had that Outlaw rim in the -6 offset and he said the better solution would be to put on longer lug studs. Does anybody know how long the original studs are? I looked in the book and it doesn't say. I want to order longer studs but want to make sure they are longer. I could go out and measure them but I thought somebody would know on this site. Any advice on how to take the studs off?
I may be wrong, but I thought the offset was in regards to the depth of the rim?

I am assuming your rims are thicker than the factory steel rims and thus your studs are too short, or don't stick out far enough? Is your swap a factory disc brake conversion? If so -You could call/email companies like Summit or Jegs for help. Your local parts store should also be able to supply you with the correct factory stud and just go in with a ruler and measure that. Then go from there. If you installed an aftermarket kit, then I would call the manufacturer for their recommendations.

To take the studs out, I typically find a round steel tube that has thick walls and fits fairly well around the stud on the back side and place it underneath the hub and around the stud to support it and get it off the ground -you don't want to warp/crack your rotor. Then pound the stud through with a big sledge hammer. Put the new stud in and I typically draw it back in by tightening it up with a nut.

If you are not comfortable doing this, take your disc to any local brake shop or shop that services brakes and they can swap the studs out for you. After installing your rims, make sure you re-tighten your wheel nuts again after a little driving to ensure your new studs have completely seated.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
it will be a pain in the ass, but send the rims back and exchange for rims that will fit correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in