User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Jim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear Suspension

My rear springs on the 67 were weak so I decided to change them. I looked up through several sources and ordered some MOOG springs. I received them but they don't fit, they are too short. The springs I took off are approximately 18.5" free. The new ones I bought were around 15" (whatever MOOG says are supposed to fit the 67) I installed them anyway just to see how it sat. Clearly, it is way to low. I need to go back with the size of the old ones I took out. I don't understand why there is an descrancy. I'm not sure its the originalk rear end but I thought an A Frame GM would be the same regardless if it fit under the Goat. Anyone ran into this? Any words of wisdom?

Thanks

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
measure yours and exchange them for taller. QED
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Jim

That's what I am going to do. I just wanted to try to understand why thee is a discrepancy.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:43 AM

Couple of thoughts... is it possible that your springs were previously replaced, maybe with station wagon springs or similar? (that was the case with my car). Also, I think many of these aftermarket springs are somewhat generic, and designed to "kind of fit" many applications. I replaced my front springs with Moogs, which sit higher than stock specs, but needed with my 225/70/15 tires.

I replaced my rears with stock replacements, but needed a little more lift to match up with the higher front end. Like many here, I installed a set of $80 air bags, which provide unlimited adjustments for heavier loads in the trunk, extra passengers, etc. i used existing holes under the rear bumper to install the air valves, so no drilling or mods to install the air bags. Maybe took 30 min start to finish.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 07:58 PM

I had the same problem but I needed new springs so I put summit brand springs on which come to find out are made by moog. The car sat way too low so I searched around for a taller spring but nobody could seem to help so I put a set of air shocks on and it's sitting where it should.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM

you were likely provided the correct springs. when springs are wore out, they are sprung open and will be larger. The replacement spring will lower the car since it has been raised by worn out, sprung springs. I replaced mine with moog springs, a note in the box said these may appear smaller then the one that come out of the car/ Ames confirmed this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM

Springs

So then it would be safe to assume that if the front end is now higher than the rear with the new springs, then the front springs would also need changing?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 12:23 PM

I've personally never had a time when worn springs become "sprung open" and larger. Every time my springs have worn out, they compress more, and the car sags lower. That is my experience... not limited to the GTO.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 02:30 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Jason, you are correct. Old tired springs never expand, they contract and settle, and get shorter. That is why the car sits lower. If a shorter spring provide greater ride height, it's simply because it is a stiffer spring rate than the original spring, and that off-sets the lower overall height of the new spring.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
convertible rear coil springs installed in a early hardtop or coupe will give the car a nice stance. an old gto trick from the '70s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in