Recommended rear end ratio. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recommended rear end ratio.

Ordered TKO-500, they are waiting to finish the drive shaft before shipping. What rear end gear ratio would you recommend for a daily driver? I currently have a 3.55 that will now accelerate like a 4.60 with the new transmission. If I go to a 3.08 it will accelerate like a 3.99 per Keisler. I can also go to a TKO-600 for just over $100. The 600 has a 2.87 first gear instead of a 3.27 and a final gear of .64 instead of .68

Thanks,

Joe

-- Chart not readable

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358663252269.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	16687  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I say run with what you have for now and see how you like it.

I have the TKO 600 and run 4:11's and that's about perfect for me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Yeah, I wouldn't go to the expense and hassle swapping out the rear gear. And if I did, I wouldn't go to a lazier gear, but the opposite: 3.90 or 4.11. That's the beauty of overdrive. I'm a big fan of "freeway" gear ratios, and with a 3.55 out back an an overdrive, you'll be all set.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: Recommended rear end ratio.

Thanks for the info, swapping out the rear end is a future tasking. Just collecting information, incase it have to replace it quickly.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM

I look forward to hearing about your new trans once it is on the road! What started out as a simple refresh on my Muncie, I spent about $600 in parts on a new counter gear & shaft, 3rd gear, input shaft/gear, and a few other parts. Oh well, I learned lots about rebuilding a muncie, so hopefully it still works when mounted on the new 455!

While going through the new 4spd parts list, I was really thinking about the Kiesler option! But my wife kept telling me, "it's not supposed to have a 5spd". Of course it is not "supposed" to have a 455 either, but it does now!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Re: Recommended rear end ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeklm View Post
I look forward to hearing about your new trans once it is on the road! What started out as a simple refresh on my Muncie, I spent about $600 in parts on a new counter gear & shaft, 3rd gear, input shaft/gear, and a few other parts. Oh well, I learned lots about rebuilding a muncie, so hopefully it still works when mounted on the new 455!

While going through the new 4spd parts list, I was really thinking about the Kiesler option! But my wife kept telling me, "it's not supposed to have a 5spd". Of course it is not "supposed" to have a 455 either, but it does now!!
I'm excited also, I originally selected the TKO 500 because of the 3.27 first gear, but now I wondering if I should switch to the TKO 600, I have until Friday to decide. I have several evolutions going on right now.

I'm currently replacing the floor pans, but used all the welding gas at the auto hobby shop. It will be 2 weeks before they get more.

I have oversized ceramic ram air III exhaust and down pipes, waiting on gaskets

I have the transmission on order, AMP is installing offset shifter and fabricating a drive shaft for me.

Also, my friend accidentally let the grinded off metal from the floor pans get embedded in my new windshield. Looking into fixing that.

And other misc stuff.

Last edited by joesweeting; 01-23-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in