User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Removal of body from frame question

Hi all!

My 67 Hardtop is ready to come off the frame. It is down to the body shell, decklid, and doors. My question is:

A: Should I remove the doors before lifting off the frame?

B: If I remove the doors, should I brace the door openings, or is that something you only have to do for a convertible?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Body separation

Greetings Dave
You don't need to weld any braces for body rigidity as long as you properly support her at four points. I did two body separations of my 65 Tempest the first using several friends lifting from the trunk lip and at both ends of the rocker panels with the doors off. The second time was done with the doors removed with the four adapters under the pinch welds at both ends of the rockers at approximate body bolt locations number 2 and 4. I have since completed the car and can say there was no tweak,twist or problems with door gaps after assembly. I've posted several you tubes ( search - 65 Tempest restoration) of the project and have a few pictures of the body separation and drop process and the dolly I built with uni track strut. I used a 67 assembly manual to help along the way along with my 65 chassis and fisher manuals and found there is a lot in common between the years. I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck with your project. Send a few pictures as you go along if you get a chance.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I should follow up that if this were a convertible you defiantly do need to weld in bracing. Also when you get the body off look for your partial vin number on top of the left frame rail just aft of the tire hump. This is a good thing for documentation purposes

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 07:01 AM

Garage
Dave, welcome. I agree. That said, if you plan to remove the doors after the body is removed, take them off now - just makes the body a little lighter when lifting. Same with the trunk lid. Piece of cake with one on each corner. Matt

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight guys. I appreciate it! The removal of the body should happen in the next couple of weeks. I've been doing plenty of research on lifting the body off and just want to make sure I don't mess anything up. I have a body cart ready to hold the thing once it's off. I will definitely check out your vids, devildawg...

Here's what it looked like back in 1993.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 04:40 PM

Garage
Going with that color? Very sharp. Matt

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Yes, going with the original color. I got lucky when I bought the car as a clueless 19 year old kid in 1988. I got a largely original #'s matching car. So I'm going to try to keep it that way as realistically possible. With modern safety and handling improvements, of course.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 06:17 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
What these guys said. Pull the doors and trunk lid first to save weight. Hardtops are plenty rigid and won't tweak if supported correctly. Helped a friend with his '67 HT a few years back, and no issues at all. Everything lined back up perfectly.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

And here is where I am right now.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...58152703_o.jpg
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
What these guys said. Pull the doors and trunk lid first to save weight. Hardtops are plenty rigid and won't tweak if supported correctly. Helped a friend with his '67 HT a few years back, and no issues at all. Everything lined back up perfectly.
Awesome. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in