Removal of rear end and front suspension - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Removal of rear end and front suspension

Hi guys, it has been a few months since I have been here. Anyways, I picked up a parts car that has a few valuable parts for my project. But I am not totally sure how to go about removing such items.

1) In removing a rear end and rear suspension, are there any "suprizes" I should be on the alert for? Is it simply the removal of a few bolts? The parts car has a full rear suspension (springs, shocks, upper/lower control arms, rear end, etc), so in removing this suspension, what can I expect? Do I need any special tools for removing such parts?

2) Similar question for the front suspension. This parts car has the full front suspension including disc brakes, shocks, springs, upper/lower control arms, and spindles (although no front clip). So what should I expect in removing these parts? Do I need any special tools for front suspension part removal?

The parts car is a '69 Coupe and although it does not have a front clip, the remaining body parts are fairly nice (straight, rust/damage free, even prepped). My plan is to take what I need off this car, and then chop up rest to sell off. Any tips or advice for removing:
1) windshield
2) rear glass
3) frame
4) full quarter panels
5) roof
6) floor pan
7) trunk pan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Nothing magic about the rear end removal at all, as the springs are not under a great deal of compression like the fronts are. Take everything loose and raise the body away from the suspension... As for the front... be careful! the front springs can be VERY dangerous. Best to use a spring compressor. That being said, I've done it with a floor jack while the engine and trans are in the car, as you need the extra weight to allow you to slowly lower the lower control arm to release the spring.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:59 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For the windshields, carefully pop the trim off, then thread a guitar string thru the tar part and have someone inside the car and someone outside and "saw" the gooey part. Body panels and floor pans are going to be a combination of spot weld cutter, air nibbler, plasma torch, cut off wheel or recip saw. Before you start cutting, find out the best methods of doing each task. Performance Years forum has a body restoration sections. If you cut the panels out wrong, they may be unusable. Bear used a site called Paintification for refference, I don't know if they cover bodywork or not.
The frame should just unbolt from the body.
Also don't just chop it up and scrap what you don't use, someone may be looking for the part.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GTO4004Spd View Post
For the windshields, carefully pop the trim off, then thread a guitar string thru the tar part and have someone inside the car and someone outside and "saw" the gooey part. Body panels and floor pans are going to be a combination of spot weld cutter, air nibbler, plasma torch, cut off wheel or recip saw. Before you start cutting, find out the best methods of doing each task. Performance Years forum has a body restoration sections. If you cut the panels out wrong, they may be unusable. Bear used a site called Paintification for refference, I don't know if they cover bodywork or not.
The frame should just unbolt from the body.
Also don't just chop it up and scrap what you don't use, someone may be looking for the part.
Thanks for the tip on checking on where to cut. I did not think of the possibility of cutting it wrong and making it unusable. Yes, I want to chop up parts, but still have them as usable as possible for someone else. I am thinking at very least, patch panels.

I do not plan on just chopping it up and tossing it aside. My plan is to take off what I need (rear end, front/rear suspension, exhaust, motor mounts, etc) and part out the rest to folks who want original parts. I know someone is always looking for individual panels. I know the doors, trunk lid, trunk floor, floor pan and frame will sell quickly (all of which I have sold/bought before); and I am betting that there is also a market for the roof, full quarters, firewall and glass.

Chuck, there is no engine, tranny or front clip on parts car so I may have to either invest in a spring compressor or rent one. Good to hear no surprises on rear suspension. I was afraid it was either under pressure (like front springs) or that I needed a special tool (which I am likely not to have) to get it off.

On frame, I know there are around 10-12 bolts holding body on, but is that a two person job to remove the bolts?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I would pay someone to remove and reinstall the glass, although a good tip, I've broke a few using that method.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
I would pay someone to remove and reinstall the glass, although a good tip, I've broke a few using that method.
Although I most certainly do not want to break the glass, I will not be reusing the glass. I plan on selling glass (along with the body panels).

Just out of curiosity, will a windshield from a coupe fit properly on a convertible (I am under the impression it will not)?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Convertable and coupes use different windshields, but both will fit 68 to 72. I don't know how much you will get for the glass, I bought mine at a swap meet for $10 each.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Well I got the rear end out and for the most part it did go smoothly. I am not as mechanically inclined as most are and I was able to get most of it out by myself. I did have help the brake line, brake cable and physically getting out from under the car.

The brake line was a bit puzzling to me at first, but then I cheated and just cut it. My only real surprise was once nuts were off bolts, getting the bolts out took a few minutes to figure out. But I managed to get them out.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

On front suspension, I know I need a coil/spring compressor (which I am looking to buy now), but do I need a specific type? Or are they all similar enough to do the job? Is there a particular order I need to follow in order to remove all of the front suspension? If I am reusing virtually all of the parts car's front suspension (including brakes, spindles, upper/lower control arms, springs, shocks, etc), do I need to totally disassemble the suspension or can I take it off as a single unit?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:18 PM

It might be a good idea to take each component off that way you can get a good look at each part to make sure they're ok. I don't think you can take off the front suspension in one piece anyway. And take lots of pictures while you're doing it so you have a good reference for putting it all back together.
I bought my coil spring compressor for Advance Auto. Make sure you get a coil spring compressor, NOT a strut spring compressor. That won't work for you. Coil spring compressor is a long threaded rod with 4 "hooks" that grab the coils - 2 on one end, 2 on the other. You feed this through the lower control arm up into the inside of the coil spring. Your gonna go through the hole where the shock is so you must remove that first. You can probably find some youtube videos of this procedure. Thats what I do when I need to learn something. Just be careful since a compressed spring has a lot of tension. Make sure all the hooks are centered. I rebuilt my front suspension by myself. I'd never done anything like that before. So it can be done. Just take your time and be careful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in