replacing frame body mounts - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
replacing frame body mounts

I have bought the body mount repair kit for my 1967 Lemans frame. the holes are bigger on some of the hole locations because of rusting and is dificult to tell exactly where to place the new repacement plate.My question is how critical is the placement of the new hole plate and is there a recommended way of doing this.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Placement isn't critical. As long as there's enough meat left to keep it from pulling through the hole you should be fine. Hopefully you don't have any problems with rusted bolts that strip out or "spin" the cage nuts --- I'd recommend soaking all the bolts in some sort of penetrating lubricant as best you can get it on them and let them stew for a couple days or so before you start. I'd recommend you do one side of the car at a time. Take the bolts loose on one side, use a couple of jacks to tilt that side of the body up just enough to take the pressure of the biscuits so you can slide them out and replace with the new pieces. I mean just barely enough -- the fronts of the fenders connect to the radiator core support so if you go crazy lifting one side of the body you're going to be putting all that into a bind and will likely twist/distort something up there. Let the jacks down and tighten everything up. Lather, rinse, repeat on the other side. Keeping one side of the body "tight" at all times will preserve it's alignment to the frame while you're working on the "other" side.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for responding Bear Unfortunately i have all ready removed the body from the frame as i need to do some repair work on the frame. This is why i am concerned about where to place the new body mount plates. In addition to this the rails on the frame look weak and i am considering encapsulating them with 1/8 " steel plating. What is your opinion on that?

Thanks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Why do you say the frame looks weak? Rust?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
Why do you say the frame looks weak? Rust?
Yeah, can you tell us more about that? Maybe include some photos of what you're talking about?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did a 71 Chevelle years back and I just used some huge washers and cut them down to fit and welded them in. After grinding you couldnt even tell I did it. I dont remember the ID of the washers but do some measuring and call your hardware store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in