1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike O誰eill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Speedometer gears

My '66 auto speedometer reads 5 mph higher than the actual speed. Is there a general rule about changing the number of teeth on the gear? In other words, if I increase the gear by 1 tooth, how many mph will that change the speedometer reading? On other cars I've worked on it was around 3 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
It's really hard to go just by the number of teeth because there are so many factors that affect the speedometer reading. Tire height, differential ratio, number of driving teeth on the transmission. You will need to find a site with a calculator to help you figure out how many teeth you need on your driven gear.

God, Country, Cars
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by histoy View Post
My '66 auto speedometer reads 5 mph higher than the actual speed. Is there a general rule about changing the number of teeth on the gear? In other words, if I increase the gear by 1 tooth, how many mph will that change the speedometer reading? On other cars I've worked on it was around 3 mph.
At what actual speed does it read 5 mph high? It should be a constant percentage - if 5 mph high at 50 mph actual, that would be 10% fast, for example.

If you know the percentage, and the actual number of drive teeth and driven teeth, it should be a simple calculation what you need. It may be necessary to change both the drive gear and driven gear.

My Turbo 400 has a pressed-on steel drive gear. I didn't feel like pulling off the transmission tail housing and trying to pull that gear off, so I opted for a ratio adapter:
https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...ratio-adapter/
Click under Slow down rate to select the percentage correction needed. My speedometer now reads right on the money with my GPS.
ralph7 likes this.

1967 Pontiac GTO 400, TH400 transmission

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O誰eill View Post
At what actual speed does it read 5 mph high? It should be a constant percentage - if 5 mph high at 50 mph actual, that would be 10% fast, for example.

If you know the percentage, and the actual number of drive teeth and driven teeth, it should be a simple calculation what you need. It may be necessary to change both the drive gear and driven gear.

My Turbo 400 has a pressed-on steel drive gear. I didn't feel like pulling off the transmission tail housing and trying to pull that gear off, so I opted for a ratio adapter:
Click under Slow down rate to select the percentage correction needed. My speedometer now reads right on the money with my GPS.
I was quoted about twice the price shown in your link at a nearby speedometer place.
Thanks for the info!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O誰eill View Post

I read 40 at 35, or 14% high. Given that % when I want to drive 65 on the highway, my speedometer should read 74 mph. I've been driving at 70 to be safe so that's probably why all the other cars are passing me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in