User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
What to do with my original 2 speed tranny

So I recently purchased a 66 gto with the complete original drive train all freshly rebuilt. The car was an original 2 speed automatic ( BLAHHH) but it was cool that everything was original. However, being that I am restoring the car for myself it absolutely HAS to have a 4 speed muncie in it.... but now that I've gotten the original trans out of the car... what do I do with it? I really dont think any future owners would ever like to convert a 4 speed car back to an auto tranny... and I really dont have much space to store a tranny that will likely never be used again... so what should I do? and how much is this transmission worth if anything?

Should I try to sell it and put the money back into my project? or is it really only worth scrapping it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Not likely that anybody would pay anything for it. But I would not scrap it. Somebody in your area might want it. Not worth paying for shipping.

If I was within a hundred miles of you, I'd come pick it up.

My trans guy says that he can build one for bracket racing, behind my 455. Hey, it was the only auto trans for the '64-'66 GTO. So they're not THAT wimpy. LOTS of guys prefer the 2-speed Powerglide, for bracket racing. A 2-speed offers several advantages, for bracket racing.

Should also work well for the street guys who don't like to shift, and have a 455 or bigger engine. A decent 455 should still make plenty of smoke from hard street tires, even with a 2-speed ST-300.

If I had plenty of cash to do it, I'd try an ST-300 in my current bracket Bird. But, for now, I'll have to use what I have, which is a TH400.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've got three of them sitting in my garage. lol. Can't bring myself to scrap them either.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
If anybody has one, within a hundred miles or so of north central Louisiana, let me know. I'll come get it out of your way. If I can come up with a good core, maybe in the near future I can come up with enuff money to have my trans guy build it for me. Will also probably need a new driveshaft. Would like to try it in my bracket Bird tho.

Speakin of coming up with money, I have a brand new, still in the box, 750 E85 Demon carb, calibrated for CT racing. Paid nearly $600 for it. Will take $300, shipped to the lower 48, or $250, picked up here, in North Louisiana.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E85 Demon .jpg
Views:	26
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	118051   Click image for larger version

Name:	750 E85 CT Demon .jpg
Views:	25
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	118053  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
well that's frustrating, I was really hoping I could get even 100 bucks for it, just to put some money back into the car. maybe eventually someone near me will need it for something. I also have a fully reconditioned original center console for a 66' auto car and a reconditioned shifter which I wont be needing anymore. any chance that is something you would be interested in?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1966 Console and Shifter

I am interested in the 1966 console and shifter. I can be reached by telephone at 315-364-8909.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in