What are the size of the factory backing plates? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Today, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What are the size of the factory backing plates?

Guys,

I'm about to order a new 12 bolt rear to replace the 10 bolt in my 70 GTO. I want to stay with the factory brake set up to minimize the installation hassle, with the e-brake and whatever. I'm looking for a new set of backing plates and the ones I have found seem to be for 9 1/2 brakes. Is that the factory brake set up? Planning on just transferring over all my brake components. Thanks for any help.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Today, 05:11 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70conv View Post
Guys,

I'm about to order a new 12 bolt rear to replace the 10 bolt in my 70 GTO. I want to stay with the factory brake set up to minimize the installation hassle, with the e-brake and whatever. I'm looking for a new set of backing plates and the ones I have found seem to be for 9 1/2 brakes. Is that the factory brake set up? Planning on just transferring over all my brake components. Thanks for any help.

Mike

My opinion here as I am not an expert on this, but the 12-bolt and 10 bolt will be different. The Pontiac 10-bolt uses a plate with 4-bolts to hold the axle in. The Chevy 12-bolt uses C-clips to hold the axles in. I am not sure if you can simply swap backing plates as the axle tube ends may be different as well as axle tube size - but just assuming at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in