Why is my rear pinion seal leaking? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why is my rear pinion seal leaking?

I just had a new pinion seal installed 2 weeks ago and it still leaks pretty bad. Assuming the new seal was not nicked in any way and installed properly, what other reasons would cause it to still leak?? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
If there's really nothing wrong with the seal (and it was installed correctly etc.etc.), and if it's definitely leaking around the seal and not from somewhere else (like a cracked housing), then perhaps the problem is a groove or some other "void" around the circumference of the shaft providing a leakage path past the seal.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 12:21 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Generally, new seals leak when the cause of the failure of the first seal remains. Usually, it's a worn bushing, bearing, or groove in a shaft. I had the same problem with the gearbox in my '65 about 20 years ago....replaced the tail shaft seal, only to have it leak again shortly after. Cause? the bushing was worn out and the drive shaft yoke was worn out, as well. My bet is that your rear flange is worn or walking around a bit due to a worn bearing. Take it back to the shop that did the work and let them now that their repair was unsuccessful.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking along the same lines. I took it to a friend of a friend who owns a shop that specializes in transmissions. He was up front with me and said he doesn't do many rears anymore. He didn't charge me to change the seal. The previous owner rebuilt the rear less than two years ago and may not have set it up properly. Today, I called another buddy of mine who is a mechanic and he wants me to bring the car in next week with a new seal just in case the seal was done properly a few weeks ago. I might pick up a redi-sleeve: Buy National Redi-Sleeve 99193 at Advance Auto Parts also in case we find a groove in the yoke although I never used one. I'll report back with results next week! Hopefully my housing has no cracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in