Coupe or Hardtop? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Coupe or Hardtop?

In 1965, Pontiac produced 8,319 coupes, 55,722 hardtops and 11,311 convertibles. I thought my post-less two door GTO was a coupe, now I wonder if it is really the hardtop ( since they were more popular). I tried a VIN decoder site, but it was no help. I thought it might be a don’t care situation for most parts, but some part manuals make a distinction in some cases between the coupe and the hardtop.
(I have narrowed the field by eliminating convertibles from the discussion; mine is definitely not a convertible.)

In the Ames catalogue, I was looking for window glass channel weatherstripping. Coupe, Convertible and 2 door sedan; all have different part numbers.

I believe 2 door sedan is just another way of referencing the hardtop.

What is the difference between the coupe and the hardtop? How do I know, which one I have?

NoAngelBuddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
In '67, coupe was apparently just another name for a post car. May have been the same for the '65's.

https://www.gtoforum.com/f12/differe...op-67-a-20871/

http://web-cars.com/phorum/read.php?3,31394,31395

"...For 1965 there were three flavors of the GTO – the 2-door hardtop, 2-door sport coupe, and 2-door convertible. The rarest of the three was the sport coupe (sometimes referred to as the “pillar coupe”) which had a pillar between the front side windows and rear side windows. A majority of GTOs produced for 1965 were the 2-door hardtop model..."

https://oldcarmemories.com/1965-pont...ruly-a-legend/
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks bigD, hardtop it is. I can’t recall ever even seeing a 65 GTO with a post (more than likely I did, but did not take note). I will look more closely at car shows, I’m sure they are out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Buy / Sell / Wanted (1964-1974) > 1964-1974 GTOs for Sale (Price & Pictures Required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in