User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
'64 Tempest Fuel Door

Hi All,

Has anyone removed the PONTIAC letters from a 64 Tempest fuel door?
I would like to be able to relocate them to another (in much better condition) Tempest fuel door.
Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel door front (Medium).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	117467   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel door back (Medium).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	117469  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:08 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBFraggin View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone removed the PONTIAC letters from a 64 Tempest fuel door?
I would like to be able to relocate them to another (in much better condition) Tempest fuel door.
Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Looking at the photo, it appears the letter attachment is more like a rivet where the rivet tail has been peened over. Removal of the letters will most likely make them un-usable again. Never have done this (but know all about rivets/removal) but this is how I might go about it - my opinion.

Several ways to remove them if it were me.

1.) A high speed die-grinder and rounded head carbide burr that will get in there to grind them off

2.) A high speed die-grinder and cutting disc carefully drawn across the peened heads until they are flush with the gas door.

3.) Drill them out - use a center punch to locate a point for your drill to grab so it does not slip sideways and stays centered, then use a small 1/8" drill bit to make a pilot hole and drill just below the the gas door panel, then follow up with a drill bit that is the same size as the rivet (3/16"?) and drill it down just past the gas door surface and just as you finish drilling, angle the drill slightly from straight and gently work the drill in a 360 degree motion to break/clean any rivet material still holding the letter to the gas door.

Once the peened rivets have been ground off or drilled, place something under the gas door to provide support on each side of the letter, and use a punch to gently knock the letters out. If you have to use much force to knock them out, grind/drill a little deeper and try again.

I don't know how much material will be left on each letter, but it could be possible to salvage the letters. If the stems on the letters are long enough and intact, I might use good 'ole JB Weld on the stems and re-insert them on your new panel. Don't know if you might be able to drill something like a 1/16" or 1/8" hole down into the stems and use a short sheet metal screw/washer to secure them into place - just guessing on this, but where there is a will, there is a way.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the ideas!

I will try the methods that you described.

It will be a while tho. Too darn cold in the garage.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Exterior Body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in