'67 GTO pass door stuck - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
UPDATE - '67 GTO pass door stuck- see page 2

Noticed today door won't open. I can hear the mechanism moving when using the inside handle. I don't hear anything when pushing the outside button. Any trick to getting the interior panel off with the door closed? What should I look for once off? Any adjustments or more like something broke? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by pjw1967; 08-30-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I had this happen and it is a PIA, you need a stubby Phillips to remove the screws at the bottom and the handle tool to pop the clips on the window crank and door lever.
Two screws hold on the armrest then you can worm it out of there popping the clips by the hinges.
Don't horse it start at the bottom and lift up.
I don't know how I got it to open I just probed the latch with a long screwdriver while jimmying the inside handle and it just popped open.
I worked the mech closing it by hand opening it with the inside handle and outside button, the clips were on there and the rods were intact.
Never did figure out why it did it, after playing with it a few times I closed it and it worked so I put the panel back on.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Does the lock mechanism work? If not, this could be the broken return spring problem I had on my 67. From what I have read, this is really commom.

If you cannot operate the lock knob up and down and hear/feel a distinct click, this could be the problem.

If it is, you can take a long screwdriver and push the lever on the opposite side of the outside button. Push it towards the outside of the car. You will need the window rolled down for this.

Once this lever is pushed back in place, the lock button should pull up and then the door will open.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. The lock is going up and and down normally. Seems to have some resistance with a click when pushed down. So it looks like I gotta go in. Will keep y'all posted.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Help!! I managed to get the interior panel off but so far no luck in getting the door open. We can see the latch. Both the door button and the inside handle are connected to the latch at they should be. We can see a lever in the latch move downward. It looks like there is another lever next to the one that moves. It moves a little bit downward but not as far at the lever moved by the button or the handle. We got the door to move a little by pushing down on the other lever with a screw driver. You know how when you don't close a door all the way it partially latches? It's a little like that now. The door moves a little but not as much as a partially latched door. My brother wants to cut a hole in the inside panel to allow us to pound more directly on the lever. I told him not until I get some guidance from our collective pals on this board. Suggestions???
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Former Moderator

Try having one person on the outside lift and pull up on the handle and out with the button pushed in while you jimmy at the mech with a long thin screwdriver.
I wish I could remember what I hit to get mine to pop but it was hard for me to see and whatever it was I hit it just popped open.
I just kept jabbing at the levers.
I really had to cuss it and mess with it for a couple hours before it opened.
I think it was that really long string of expletives that finally did the trick.
I don't know it's like you got the first position to pop and it is stuck on the second position mine just popped open.
There is a spring in there and if it breaks it can jam the mech, mine was ok.
What stuck mine was out in the driveway, door open and a huge gust of wind slammed it shut.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

We got it a little loose like it was in the half latched position. Drilled a hole reluctantly thru the rear door jamb. I have an inspection camera so we are able to see the latch on the bolt. Screwed with for 2 hrs with no luck. To check the lock, I locked the door this morning and then put my hip into it to get the door to close completely. As soon as I bumped it the door shut tightly and the lock popped up. We are hoping that the half open position put some kind of detent on the latch preventing us from prying it loose. Now that the door is closed we're hoping that with the button pushed in we can get the latch to rotate around the bolt. Hope it's not wishful thinking. Anyone know where to look for an exploded view of the lock assembly? Are they available anywhere? Thanks.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjw1967 View Post
We got it a little loose like it was in the half latched position. Drilled a hole reluctantly thru the rear door jamb. I have an inspection camera so we are able to see the latch on the bolt. Screwed with for 2 hrs with no luck. To check the lock, I locked the door this morning and then put my hip into it to get the door to close completely. As soon as I bumped it the door shut tightly and the lock popped up. We are hoping that the half open position put some kind of detent on the latch preventing us from prying it loose. Now that the door is closed we're hoping that with the button pushed in we can get the latch to rotate around the bolt. Hope it's not wishful thinking. Anyone know where to look for an exploded view of the lock assembly? Are they available anywhere? Thanks.
I looked all over for that exploded view and couldn't find it.
There is nothing I could find in the service manual on it and all I could find with Google is your post.
It is called a bear claw latch and in order to replace it you have to get the door open to access the screws.
There is a picture of the door latches in the Ames catalog on page 104.
Here are some pics, I don't think there is an exploded view since it is a stamped unit and doesn't come apart?

Bing Images

I had no idea what I was going to do if mine didn't open, I just worked the handle and jabbed at the lever the door handle rod went to and it eventually popped open.
My next plan was to destroy it with my die grinder and go at it with my heel bar or possibly saw off the striker.
There is nothing at all I could find on the net on how to get it open.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:44 AM
64-67 Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
It's a simple mechanical problem. The problem is, you can't really see into that area and it's hard to access. If it were me, I'd get an entire new door lock/latch assembly and see if I could remove the old one as it sits. My experience has been that once these latches start to intermittently stick/act up, they keep on doing it due to normal wear. And you never know when. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Exterior Body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in