70 Judge color change?? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
70 Judge color change??

Hello, what do you guys think about a color change on a Judge? If I change it from the original Granada gold (on PHS docs) to Atoll blue (which is what I want to do) will it take away from the value of it or not hurt? In my opinion I would think it would sell better if it was a more desirable color, done correctly, over the original less desirable. But what I'm worried about most is the fact that it is a Judge, and deviation from original no matter the choice will devalue it. I don't plan on selling it when I'm done and won't be building a 100 point car, but still want to keep it true to form so to speak. No matter what I do I have to strip and paint it. It was painted Baja gold at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2015, 06:32 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Its your car, do as you please. You don't plan on selling it, so go for it. I used to have a Pepper green '70 and if I ever had the funds to buy a '70 Judge, I would not have a problem re-creating it with a color change. If its not a 100% resto and your not going to enter it in judging contests.........enjoy.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Jim is correct (she's your car and you should do as you want), but consider this point. Someday, someone is going to sell your GTO. The seller may not be you, but someone (your spouse, your kids) will sell her and they will want to get as much money out her sale as possible. She'll bring in the highest money if her paint matches the documents.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
My take... have been hardcore restoration service and parts supplier for decades, & have owned seven Judges, have dealt with many many friends and customers during the restoration of their Judges and occasionally the sales of same Judges.

If the '70 Granada Gold Judge is a NOM auto car, with an owner with no intention of getting it very close to correct under the hood, having it professionally painted Atoll blue, isn't going to hurt future sale pricing. There are different tiers of pricing and a wide range of skill and levels of restoration, one has to realize this. Atoll blue was very popular in '70 and Atoll blue with pink/orange/blue stripes have always been very appealing.

If the Granada Gold Judge is a factory 3spd or 4 spd car, or one of the very few RAIV automatics, I definitely wouldn't advise changing the color from Granada GOld. If it was an automatic RAIV Judge, imho, it deserves a fairly high level of restoration and detailing, and an owner w/o a strong restoration background may be in a better position selling or trading it for a RAIII Judge project that's much more complete and of an original color that they can live with.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
My .02 cents.....If you're in this for the money....you're in the wrong hobby. Restorations are (almost) never money makers unless you're restoring a car for someone else. If you're in it for YOU, and its about YOU and YOUR CAR, do what YOU want. See my sig.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:21 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
What pinion head said. Personally, being that it is a real Judge, I would not change the color. IMO, it will be detrimental to the end value of the car. But, it is your car.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! This is a full resto that I'm doing myself aside from the body work. This is my second one, and I still have my first. What I've been debating for a year now is exactly what you all are helping me with. I didn't give it a second thought when I color changed my '66. But, I am a purest and a stickler for correctness. There isn't a lot that will be #'s matching on this Judge, no thanks to the previous owners, but it is a 4spd w/power steering/manual drum car from Royal Pontiac. I look at it as a very fun investment. Nothing is forever, and there will come a day that It will need to sell. Granada gold isn't a bad color at all...I just don't like the lemon/lime decal colors!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

For what it's worth, the engine/trans are long gone, but I am looking hard to find the correct stuff. Also trying to research previous owners to no avail.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:25 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
For what it's worth, the engine/trans are long gone, but I am looking hard to find the correct stuff. Also trying to research previous owners to no avail.
Hmmmm, sorta changes things for me a bit. Here is the scenario at a car show and you have your car there. "Nice Judge" he says. "Original?" You say, "Its not the original color and its not the original engine and its not the original transmission, but it is an original Judge." He says, "Oh" and walks away.

Scenario #2 - "Nice Judge" he says "Original?". You say, "It is an original Judge that I restored to its original color and specs but the engine and 4-speed were long gone so I rebuilt another 400CI to factory Ram Air III specs and installed a correct Muncie 4-speed just as it would have come from the factory." He says, "Wow, great job, must be fast" as he pokes about to look at your car a little closer.

If you look to "restore" the car, then the original color is sort of an appeal/confirmation to the restoration of an original Judge that catches peoples eyes and the non-original engine/trans becomes less of a factor in its originalness - especially if you rebuild the donor driveline as factory.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
bottom line is... having been a factory 4 spd Judge, you will most likely be leaving too much on the table, changing exterior color. On an auto '70 Judge, that is NOM, the change to atoll blue would not been a big hit in perceived value.

as far as original stamped engines go, I've examined too many partial VIN stampings on Pontiac blocks that the the last 2 or three digits were never struck very deep while the entire string was in the gangstamper. Also know of quite a few instances where fairly rare blocks were sourced that originally were installed in same asm plant, exact same time of year Pontiacs, and decades later are now in very close dated same orig assembly plant built GTO's, Judges, TransAms. The above average local yokel "GTO guy" that would make a snide comment at a local show, isn't smart enough to know the fine points, I wouldn't give him the time of day, most of them are near clueless when it comes to the overall picture of the hobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Exterior Body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in