Core Support bolts - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Core Support bolts

Hey guys, is there some special way to get these bolts off, ive tried everything... soaking with penetrating oil for hours and even days, heating them up multiple times, and also a impact wrench and it doesnt move a bit... any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170512_164522_1494625730115.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	568.3 KB
ID:	90722  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:24 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Thornton View Post
Hey guys, is there some special way to get these bolts off, ive tried everything... soaking with penetrating oil for hours and even days, heating them up multiple times, and also a impact wrench and it doesnt move a bit... any help would be appreciated!
You have to unbolt at the nut. Don't know if you are trying to turn the head - usually won't work if really stuck. Put your wrench on the head of the bolt and if it spins, let it spin up against the frame to hold it in place.

Your impact may not have enough torque to break the bolt loose. Some require a lot of CFM's of air to work best.

Three things I do. Are you using a quality brand 1/2" breaker bar with 6-point impact sockets? DO NOT USE A 12-point socket as it will round off the nut and impact sockets are heavier and will hold up to a lot of torque. Put a length of pipe over the end of the 1/2" breaker bar to give you more leverage - another foot or two. Then see if you can break it loose.

If that will not work, I pull out the torch. You need to heat the nut cherry red so it is glowing. This will expand the nut from the heat and loosen corrosion between the threads. Then use the 1/2" breaker bar while it is still cherry hot and it should unbolt.

If that does not work, then the last option is to cut the bolt off with the torches.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

So i dont turn it from the head underneath the core support? Its a square nut on top so i dont have anything to grip that. I will try heating it up again and see if that works then use the break over

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:24 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Thornton View Post
So i dont turn it from the head underneath the core support? Its a square nut on top so i dont have anything to grip that. I will try heating it up again and see if that works then use the break over
OK, now I understand. Your photo is sideways. I was looking at the larger bolt (bumper bolt). The other bolt does have a square nut-clip. Put your open box wrench on the square nut. Then yes, unbolt from the top. I like to use Marvel Mystery Oil on rusty bolts. It is a penetrating oil. I also have used PB Blaster or even WD-40 on them.

When you put heat on the bolt, you only want to heat up the nut to expand it. But what will happen is that the larger bolt will draw heat and hold it longer and then the bolt remains expanded as the nut cools and shrinks making things worse sometimes - unless you can get the nut cherry read with torch heat and then unloosen.

It may just take some time and you could cycle it with some heat then hit it with penetrating oil and let sit. The bolt looks dry in the photo, so penetrating oil might work best. Again, make sure you use the 6-point socket so as not to round off the bolt head. it may take a little patience and muscle as these old bolts will sometimes fight all the way.

Again, when all else fails, sometimes the bolt has to be torched off, but yours does not look that bad, so you should be able to unbolt it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Alright, i will try that! Thanks bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Exterior Body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in