Plugs in drain holes in doors? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Plugs in drain holes in doors?

Got caught in rainstorm at a car show and when cleaning up the car after, I happened to check the drainage holes on the driver and passenger doors on my 68 GTO. To my surprise, I found both doors had rubber plugs in the drain holes which are obviously factory made. I carefully removed them and found a considerable amount of water was trapped inside the doors due to the plugs being in place. I had not been aware of these plugs and thought it might be of value to others to check their cars. Anybody know why the plugs are present? Maybe meant to keep dirt and debris from getting inside the door and supposed to be removed when washing the car? No need to be carrying any water inside your door, right??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:23 PM
O52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Should be rectangular and mounted from the outside. The weight of the water pushes down on the rubber seal allowing the water to drain. Occasionally gets plugged from dirt and stuff (if parked outside) and may need cleaning every 5 years or so.

https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/De...A&web_access=Y

Ed

68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
70 El Camino SS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O52 View Post
Should be rectangular and mounted from the outside. The weight of the water pushes down on the rubber seal allowing the water to drain. Occasionally gets plugged from dirt and stuff (if parked outside) and may need cleaning every 5 years or so.

https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/De...A&web_access=Y
Thanks for the reply. Just something I never knew existed until I found them purely by accident. I did find some debris above one of them which had turned into kind of a mud which I have cleaned out. Will probably just check them from time to time to be sure there is good drainage.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:48 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvee53 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Just something I never knew existed until I found them purely by accident. I did find some debris above one of them which had turned into kind of a mud which I have cleaned out. Will probably just check them from time to time to be sure there is good drainage.

I kinda learned this the hard way. Don't store a car outside in the weather uncovered at an angle. Those drains work when the car is level. Store it at an angle and the water can't drain and collects.........and then you watch the front/rear outside section of your doors rot away and its too late by the time you figured it out. All I can do is look in the mirror and say "Duh?"

I had good intentions.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
I kinda learned this the hard way. Don't store a car outside in the weather uncovered at an angle. Those drains work when the car is level. Store it at an angle and the water can't drain and collects.........and then you watch the front/rear outside section of your doors rot away and its too late by the time you figured it out. All I can do is look in the mirror and say "Duh?"

I had good intentions.
Good point, Jim. I try to avoid water as much as possible but as Benjamin Franklin said "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure", right?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Exterior Body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in