User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
coker redline quality

I was looking into getting a set of Coker BFG Silvertown redline radials for my 68. Last week, I talked to a friend who said he bought a set for his 66 Vette, and he said they were poorly made, way out of round. He then got rid of them. The guy owns a successful garage, is well off enough to buy whatever he wants. My deal is this, is he exaggerating? Did he just get a bad set, or a bad tire or 2? Do any of you have any good/bad experience with these? I just don't want to buy something only to return it. I tried looking for complaints, but haven't found any. I don't know what to think. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I don't have any first hand experience, nor do I know anyone who has. However, I got to visit his shop on the Power Tour one year and we pretty much had the run of the place, and got to meet him. He struck me as a good guy who'd make something right if there was a problem. Also, anyone can make a mistake on any given day, but I'd think if problems like that were commonplace, he'd not be as successful as he is.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Which is it?

Coker is a reputable company and supports the vintage car hobby. I'm sure that they stand behind their product.

However, the question I want to ask you is this : Are you looking for correct reproduction tires from the era that will be judged for correctness at a GTOAA show or a AACA event?

Or are you looking for tires with the "vintage" Redline look that offer the ride, handling and safety of a modern tire?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looking for modern tire with the vintage look. Mine's a driver, not a trailer queen. I was all set to buy a set until I talked to my friend. Looking further, I can't find one bad word about them, except his. Thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did some more research, and from what I've learned, the Coker's are BFG Silvertowns. The Diamondback lll's are BFG Radial TA's that are made by Michelin USA. I have not yet found out how the Silvertown compares to the TA, and by who and where the Silvertown is made.( I would assume they're made in the same place) I'll keep digging, as my car is still at the paint shop, and I have a little dead time.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Tires for cars that are driven!

That's why I asked.

Back in the 70's when my 66 GTO was my daily driver, it was equipped with Michelin X blackwalls. They were somewhat expensive back then, but an older friend of mine convinced me to go with the steel-belted radials for their superior ride, handling and safety. I never regretted that decision.

Fast forward to the frame-off rotisserie restoration of The GreaT One. I was not ready to step back to reproduction vintage tires. I did my research, even visited the Diamondback Tire facility! I went with the Diamondback BFG Radial T/As. I have no doubt that I made the right choice!

I take the GreaT One to quite a few shows each year and it is driven there. I enjoy the ride, handling and safety of a modern steel-belted radial tire. I highly recommend them!

No affiliation with Diamondback Tire - just a satisfied customer!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I met Corky Coker over 10 years ago and he is a great guy. His tires have been first rate, but I realize I've never owned a set myself. Ive ridden in cars for thousands of miles with their tires though. They are fine.

Get radials - bias ply tires are terrible.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I did a bunch of online research, and found not one bad word about Cokers. I also did some shopping, and picked up a set. I have a new tire machine and balancer at work, mounted them, and they took a minimum amount of weight. I'm sure I'll be happy with them. Maybe my friend, who had the issue, got a bad tire or two, or maybe he had one of his employees do the job, and he screwed it up. Maybe he turned into a drama queen. I don't know. I do want to thank you for the responses, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in