Disc brakes and rally wheels - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Disc brakes and rally wheels

Thanks again to any and all who have offered advice and information over the 2 years since I began my restoration. Those of you who have experienced a long restoration due to lack of spare time will appreciate my recent experience when I got the fuel flowing, the timing set and heard that 400 ci beast roar to life. I'm hoping I didn't cause any damage to the rebuilt engine by too much cranking and starting it with the timing off. I should be able to figure that out when I get exhaust on it later this week.

Meanwhile, I put on a CPP disc brake conversion while it was up on jack stands. When I tightened down the rear wheels they bottomed out against the calipers. I called CPP to see if there was a spacer or other product to solve the problem. they said I needed rally wheels that were made for disc brakes.

Meanwhile, to get it rolling I shimmed out the wheel studs with washers and did some grinding on the inside of the rim. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:08 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Yes. Lost a rear wheel on the freeway at 65 mph due to this back in the day. Ended up damaging the brake backing plate, drum, control arm, and quarter panel of my '66 GTO when the car slid on the body to a halt. Do NOT shim wheel studs. It destroys the integrity of the stud and you end up with a time bomb on your hands. Get the right wheels. Also, when you ran the engine, I you did run it at 2000 rpm for 20-30 minutes to break in the cam, didn't you?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cam break in

The problem was that it ran for a bit before I could get it to idle long enough to set the timing. When finally fired up with everything firing, I revved it up to what I assumed was about 2 grand and kept it there for awhile. the next time I ran it, i did the same thing. Not very scientific but hopefully it did the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in