User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
How do I stop wheel hop?

Hi all,
Just tuned my 69 and she runs awesome. When I'm sitting still or on a slow roll and hit it, all I get is wheel hop. Looking to burn some rubber from the tires but not having much luck. Any thoughts. Will a rear sway bar help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Sway bar probably won't help that. What's your rear suspension setup like... factory arms and rubber bushings?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:57 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Usually, a lifted rear suspensionis the culprit. There are no -hop devices available if you want to run with it jacked up in the rear and want to eliminate hop. Stock suspensions usually are pretty good about not hopping. It's all about pinion angle and load. Google No Hop bars for GM for more info.....

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies. Factory areas and rubber bushings it is. Rear sits a little low especially with a full gas tank even though the spring are new (previous owner installed). Kinda don't want to put anything that will make it all jacked up in the rear. I'll take a look at what's available on the web. I was hoping this would be an easy fix.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Have you thought about drag bags?

Randy

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Here's the answer to all your suspension questions http://www.dickmillerracing.com

I actually typed out a rather long answer yesterday morning but my computer locked up when I submitted my reply and I had to be off to work.

Flex in the stock control arms, bushings and too short of an instant center on the stock suspension is the Cliffnotes version. Dick Millers book is a great reference and he defininetly knows how to get a GM A body to hook!

Edit: Some people might call him "Richard" Miller lol. Dang profanity editor .
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
Here's the answer to all your suspension questions _ Oldsmobile, Suspension GM & Cutlass & Chevelle & Ford: Dick Miller Racing Oldsmobile Performance Parts.

I actually typed out a rather long answer yesterday morning but my computer locked up when I submitted my reply and I had to be off to work.

Flex in the stock control arms, bushings and too short of an instant center on the stock suspension is the Cliffnotes version. Dick Millers book is a great reference and he defininetly knows how to get a GM A body to hook!

Edit: Some people might call him "Richard" Miller lol. Dang profanity editor .
I corrected the problem with the censor,

Randy

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO View Post
I corrected the problem with the censor,
Thanks.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbergin View Post
Thanks for the replies. Factory areas and rubber bushings it is. Rear sits a little low especially with a full gas tank even though the spring are new (previous owner installed). Kinda don't want to put anything that will make it all jacked up in the rear. I'll take a look at what's available on the web. I was hoping this would be an easy fix.
My first suspicion would be the rubber bushings, especially if they're old and worn. A fresh set might tighten things up 'just enough'. With factory control arms though you DON'T want to put in hard urethane bushings. The geometries involved would make everything want to bind up in turns, maybe bending/breaking things. The real fix is to replace the factory arms with aftermarket pieces that have some sort of spherical joints on the ends (OK if they're just one one end for the uppers). This kind of joint will take all the fore/aft "slop" out of the arms (that's what's causing your wheel hop) while allowing a much more free movement of the suspension in all the directions that it's supposed to move. I'm running Spohn pieces on my car.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 09:08 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
There are no-hop brackets that attach to the diff housing at the center section and they are undetectable when the car is sitting on the road. They have been around for decades, and they work great with a stock suspension. They are not traction bars or ladder bars, merely brackets that keep the diff from winding up and changing the pinion angle on hard acceleration. I would go with those, or Air Lift air bags. Cheap and easy, if all you need is to stop wheel hop but don't want to modify the suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in