• 1 Post By Pinion head
  • 1 Post By Pinion head

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
JA vs KT Wheel code

Do any of you know if there is a difference between the 1969 14" x 6" JA Rally II wheel and the 1969 14" x 6" KT Rally II wheel?
As mentioned in an earlier post I had 4 Rally II's given to me and it turns out that 3 of them are 14" x 7" KS wheels, and one of them is a 1969 GTO appropriate JA.
The spare in my car turns out to be a KT coded rim.
So it looks like I have a set: 2 14" x 6" for the front and 2 14" x 7" for the rear, with a 14" x 7" for the spare.
That is, providing that the JA and the KT are a match. To my untrained eye they look identical, but I come to you for sage advice . . .

Joe

Today is the only day that truly matters; Here's hoping that your's is beautiful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Joe, the factory coded JA & JL coded 14x6 Rally II wheels have a slightly different offset than the later JT-KU-KT-HN coded 14x6 RallyII wheels. Wont be that big a deal for a spare.

The slight difference in offset is due to GM going from "2 piece" rotors (with the bolt on hub) to the one piece (integral hub) rotor. The change in style of rotors occurred during mid 1970 production with 11/25/69 being the last dates JL's were stamped, as well as the first day JT's were stamped.
soberjoe likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
Joe, the factory coded JA & JL coded 14x6 Rally II wheels have a slightly different offset than the later JT-KU-KT-HN coded 14x6 RallyII wheels. Wont be that big a deal for a spare.

The slight difference in offset is due to GM going from "2 piece" rotors (with the bolt on hub) to the one piece (integral hub) rotor. The change in style of rotors occurred during mid 1970 production with 11/25/69 being the last dates JL's were stamped, as well as the first day JT's were stamped.

Thank you Pinion head.
I guess that means that Ill have to keep looking for another JA or JL coded wheel. One JA and one KT do NOT a good set make

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today is the only day that truly matters; Here's hoping that your's is beautiful.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 07:19 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Completing a set of 4 or five KS code 14x7's ought to be cheaper than coming up with a single decent JA or JL. Imo, if the JA coded wheel is clean & straight, it ought to be worth two KS wheels. Good date range nice condition JA & JL wheels, have had a ton of them. Since the early 90's have been networking and putting date matching sets together.
soberjoe likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Completing a set of 4 or five KS code 14x7's ought to be cheaper than coming up with a single decent JA or JL. Imo, if the JA coded wheel is clean & straight, it ought to be worth two KS wheels. Good date range nice condition JA & JL wheels, have had a ton of them. Since the early 90's have been networking and putting date matching sets together.

Hmmmm, I guess I will have to consider that option as well.
I am going to try and find a decent JA or JL wheel, but Ill also keep my eyes open for another KS.
Thanks once again Pinion head

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Pinion head, can you tell me what you know about KM stamped 14 x 6 Rally IIs

I cannot find any reference, however I found a guy that has 2 in good shape, with BFG rubber, for $300 so I may drive the 4 hours to go take a look.

Any further advice that you can provide would be helpful and appreciated.

Once again my GTO is a 1969 with factory disc front brakes.

Thanks man,

Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in