LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
new wheels for my gto

Hi!

I'm looking for some new wheels for my 66 GTO.
I found 3 that I like, but I don't know which fits best and I'm not sure which one will look best

1.) Cragar SS 2piece

Cragar 61715 - Cragar 08/61 S/S Super Sport Chrome Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

2.) Cragar SS 1piece alu

Cragar 610C573442 - Cragar S/S 1-Piece Aluminum Chrome Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

3.) American Racing Vintage

American Racing T71R5761 - American Racing Vintage Series T71R Polished Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

All are 7x15" with difference in offset (0 to +6).
The #1 will need some other wheel lug nuts, because it has a bolt circle of 5x4,5/4,75/5.. can someone tell me which ones I need at summit? I only know my GTO has 5x4,75.

What do you think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
i like the Billet Cragars, after getting mine i will never buy a chrome wheel again.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, +1 on #2, the steel Cragars rust. And they will look Awsome on your car. I like the #3 wheels but they've just been played out, everybody has them it seems, but still a good choice that won't go out of style.

Instigator, your missing a few lugnuts.......

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thats a good information, does anyone have the #2 on his car? Didn't see them yet, where I live are not too much GTO's with chrome rims

@instg8ter
Your wheels also look very good, if you can show me some other wheels that I haven't found I'd be happy for links to them at summit (I'd like to order them there..)
But I really like chrome
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Can you tell me what wheel this is?
I think it's a RallyII, 15".
On the backside there is nothing written down what size it has. On the front there is a small 7 and a small 4 to the left and right of the valve.
I mounted it on my car an it fits just perfect, no scratching at all like with my torque thrust. Width and offset/backspace would be very interesting... maybe its 7x15 with 4" backspace?

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
hey Chris this is the manufacture that made my wheels, if you look they have a rally 2 in billet i think Eric is using on his car. Summit also carries them although i think their choices are limited. you will want 4.5 " backspace on the rims.

Billet Specialties

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Austria View Post
Can you tell me what wheel this is?
I think it's a RallyII, 15".
Hi Chris,

That's a Rallye II wheel, but it's chrome so it's probably a reproduction. I kinow that Wheel Vintiques and also Specialty Wheel here offer several different varieties of Rallye II's, some painted like original, some chrome with silver centers, some chrome with dark charcoal centers (new).

Choosing wheels is mostly a 'taste' thing and everyone has their own opinions. Pick something you personally like and go with it - realize that there's always going to be someone out there who will think "something else" would be "better".

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting center cap on that wheel.............

And to measure the backspacing, put a straight edge across the back lip of the wheel (not the bead edge, the flat surface) and measure down to the surface that goes against the axle. That will be your backspace. Do the same in the front and add the two and you should come up with the actual width of the wheel.

Also noticed the rust between the rim and center. Chrome plated steel rims look great as long as you don't subject them to dirt, moisture or..........driving. Nothing has quite the same shine as chrome, but you can have chrome plated aluminum wheels. But note that they are subject to electrallesis (sp?) when used in the weather.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The Rally2 rim is from my trunk.. I think it's a 7x15 with 4" BS and the others are torque thrust 7x15 with 3,75" BS. The Rally don't scratch and the only difference is the 0,25" BS.. so if I buy the Cragars with 4,25" BS they must fit.
Every 7x15 with 4-4,25" BS will be fine I think.. and to keep the track wider I'll take just as much BS as needed

I will measure it to make sure that my plan will work and then order some new rims that will fit. How do you call plates between the wheel hub and the rim to make a lower offset? I might want to use them at the rear wheels because the fit perfect with 3,75" BS.

I like the #1 (steel/alu).. I don't drive the car if the streets are wet or in winter. And if I wash the rims every 1-2 weeks, do you think rust will be a problem?? They seem to have the perfect offset and style for a fair price!

Last edited by Chris-Austria; 11-25-2011 at 11:28 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I found these rims.. they look very good and I'm sure they have the correct size! Does anyone know "Rocket Racing"? It's an aluminum wheel with chrome.. but are they worth the money? They are pretty expensive in contrast to #1-3!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in