Performance Wheel, tire, brake, and suspension - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Performance Wheel, tire, brake, and suspension

I am the new owner [STOKED] of a 1965 GTO 3 speed manual tri power. The car is pretty much stock (except I have installed 4 speed muncie) and needs some restoration (pics to follow). Currently the car has drums all around and 14" wheels. I like to really drive my cars and would like to upgrade the brakes to discs.

Questions:
(1) What setups provide the best braking - kits or pieced together and best disc size ?
(2) Have many folks converted over to a hydra boost setup and if so any details on the items needed ?
(3) I am guessing that most brake upgrades with the exception of the kit on AMES will require a bigger wheel. From a performance standpoint, I would like to have as light a wheel / tire package as possible, but still have a lot of rubber on the ground. What is the biggest wheel / tire combination I can fit on a 65 convertible?
(4) Should I consider making suspension changes to the car (dropped spindles or other) ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Bump for help....35 views and no replies .....I know tons of people have been down this path and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Thanks

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in