User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Tires and wheels

Hi all knowing and great GTO restorers/owners,

I have a 69 GTO which I purchased with 245x60x15 tires and 15 inch wheels with a JW code (originally from a Firebird I believe). My research has led me to a crossroads. I'm trying to put it back to original stock condition from the factory so I found out these tires and wheels are wrong (I also have a front tire rub when turning). So now it looks like eventually I'll be changing tires and wheels. My original build sheet and invoice show G78x14 wheels and WW fiberglass tires.

I've read in the GTO restoration guide that my car would have come with 14x6 wheels (G78x14) with a JA code (disc brakes) or JC code (drum brakes). My car has factory power brakes so the code would be JA.

My questions are, what should I expect to pay for the proper wheels in the proper condition which in my case requires them to be pretty nice. Also are there any caveats I need to look for when shopping for them and what is an except able replacement tire for the WW fiberglass tires?

Thanks in advance to all for your help, Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 06:57 PM
67 Basket Case Restorer

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Finding the correct wheels in very good condition will be plenty spendy. I would venture to guess in the $100 each range or more. The important part is that they are still round and don't wobble. Buying used wheels long distance and therefore, sight unseen, is risky. You may want to look at restorable wheels and have them restored too.

Coker has replacement fiberglass tires but if you've never driven a car with belted tires, be in for a shock. They handle like sheet compared to radials. They do have look-a-like radials too which are better but they are all expensive.

The reason you have a front rub now is the 245 is too wide on the front. 235 is about the limit and I like 215x65 for a front tire. It brings the tread width down to around 6-6.5 inches and the 65 series sidewall gets the height back up some to look right. In your case, you will be looking for a 70 series. I think 205 or the 215 is the equivalent of the G78.

Mitch
1967 GTO; Gulf Turquoise on Black, 4 speed, buckets SOLD
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Finding the correct wheels in very good condition will be plenty spendy. I would venture to guess in the $100 each range or more. The important part is that they are still round and don't wobble. Buying used wheels long distance and therefore, sight unseen, is risky. You may want to look at restorable wheels and have them restored too.

Coker has replacement fiberglass tires but if you've never driven a car with belted tires, be in for a shock. They handle like sheet compared to radials. They do have look-a-like radials too which are better but they are all expensive.

The reason you have a front rub now is the 245 is too wide on the front. 235 is about the limit and I like 215x65 for a front tire. It brings the tread width down to around 6-6.5 inches and the 65 series sidewall gets the height back up some to look right. In your case, you will be looking for a 70 series. I think 205 or the 215 is the equivalent of the G78.
Thanks for the reply! I've been watching your projects posts, you are way worse than I am with too many projects.

I found a matched set of (3) near perfect 14 inch wheels with JA code so clear you can see without squinting for $45 each!!!! If I wanted the lighter gray color they would already be done color wise so I'll just need to repaint them. Best of all they are located 20 mms from the house! This guy has 10 66/67 GTOs in varying stages of restore, 4 of them rare convertibles!!! I guess he has more wheels that he needs - he has part all over the place!!!!

My spare is 225 x 70 x 14 and looks about right next to the car. 245 is definitely too big... While I look for a forth wheel I'll investigate the tire situation - when I get my new wheels and tires set up I'll have to sell the old ones. I'm hoping I don't have too much trouble selling them as a set (they are in very good condition). I have driven a belted tire before so I'll probably stick to radials.

Thanks again too many projects. I appreciate your reply! Dan

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 10:01 PM

I just bought a '67 and the guy I bought it from put some expensive radial red line tires on it. I actually want to switch to BF Goodrich Radial T/A's and plan to sell the red lines. I plan to work on it some this weekend, if you're interested I can let you know what size they are.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Sending PM...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainboy1 View Post
I just bought a '67 and the guy I bought it from put some expensive radial red line tires on it. I actually want to switch to BF Goodrich Radial T/A's and plan to sell the red lines. I plan to work on it some this weekend, if you're interested I can let you know what size they are.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I found some OE 14" x 6" wheels for a great price - the guy didn't realize what he had. When I picked them up he even told me "I should be charging more for these but I'll honor the price I posted."

Three are in great shape with the JA code (for disc break cars), one is in ok shape with a JC code (for drum brake cars). I'll get all four blasted and paint them. I already have the stencil kit.

I'm looking to use the JC wheel (which will be in great shape when I'm done with it) as trade bate for another JA wheel in similar shape.

My question now is, do you guys have suggestions for tires - brand or model? I know the popular tire back then was Firehawk but they are not longer made. I plan to get radials in either 215/75 or 225/70 size.

I found this site, I have not verified what it says yet, showing a conversion for all the old referenced sizes.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 10:49 PM
67 Basket Case Restorer

Garage
Personally, I wouldn't do anything with the JC wheel. Once you spend the money to restore it, the new owner may need to strip it and start all over to get a paint match to his other wheels.

Mitch
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Personally, I wouldn't do anything with the JC wheel. Once you spend the money to restore it, the new owner may need to strip it and start all over to get a paint match to his other wheels.
True but if I can't find a JA wheel in the meantime I'll have to wait to change my tires. They could have it blasted again if they want to change colors... and it won't cost much. A local shop will blast mine for $12 each... paint will be same cost for 3 or 4 wheels, five with the spare. Speaking of which I could use the JC as a spare and find another JA... hmmm
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 11:03 PM
67 Basket Case Restorer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan woodland View Post
True but if I can't find a JA wheel in the meantime I'll have to wait to change my tires. They could have it blasted again if they want to change colors... and it won't cost much. A local shop will blast mine for $12 each... paint will be same cost for 3 or 4 wheels, five with the spare. Speaking of which I could use the JC as a spare and find another JA... hmmm
Now you're thinking...no wasted money...

Mitch
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Yes indeed! I guess a blind nut does find a squirrel once in a while.

(yes I know that's backassward)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in