User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Wob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Were Steel Wheels Always Black?

I have a 66 Sprint 6 I am restoring that was originally Barrier Blue on Blue interior Its been a real barn find so to speak (off the road almost 30 years), still had a couple bias ply on it. The interesting thing is that its a steel wheel car with these hubcaps:

But all four + the spare wheel are all painted Barrier Blue. I am going with a color change to white instead of the BLue but leaving the interior blue and doing a blue Sprint stripe. I like the idea of the wheels a blue too (either to match the sprint stripe or the cornflower blue painted parts of the interior), but i have never seen factory wheels any color than black. Its not to say that I cant keep them blue I'm just curious.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM

Blue

I just sold hubcaps exactly like that on ebay a few months ago for 1 cent! A terrible error. As for the rims, I've seen blue, but not sure if they were on a Pontiac or not. It seems like a little blue poking through the holes, and around the outside edge of the caps on the rims might look ok.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wob View Post
I have a 66 Sprint 6 I am restoring that was originally Barrier Blue on Blue interior Its been a real barn find so to speak (off the road almost 30 years), still had a couple bias ply on it. The interesting thing is that its a steel wheel car with these hubcaps:

But all four + the spare wheel are all painted Barrier Blue. I am going with a color change to white instead of the BLue but leaving the interior blue and doing a blue Sprint stripe. I like the idea of the wheels a blue too (either to match the sprint stripe or the cornflower blue painted parts of the interior), but i have never seen factory wheels any color than black. Its not to say that I cant keep them blue I'm just curious.

Thanks!
Ever consider the Barrier Blue with white Sprint stripes? Would be more "original" and quite striking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjones View Post
I just sold hubcaps exactly like that on ebay a few months ago for 1 cent! A terrible error. As for the rims, I've seen blue, but not sure if they were on a Pontiac or not. It seems like a little blue poking through the holes, and around the outside edge of the caps on the rims might look ok.
Damn! I would have paid twice that!

Also agree that a little color on the rim would liven up those wheel covers.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Wob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjones View Post
1 cent???!!!! Wow. Do me a favor next time you have ANYTHING for sale let me know!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
Ever consider the Barrier Blue with white Sprint stripes? Would be more "original" and quite striking!

Damn! I would have paid twice that!

Also agree that a little color on the rim would liven up those wheel covers.
I like the white on Blue interior with the blue stripe. It may not be original, but I think it will look nice. I think the blue wheels peeking out as mentioned would too and I will likely keep respray them blue, but I was curious if this was ever even a factory or even dealer option. I never seen it on any Lemans and the fact that the spare was painted too had me scratch my head. What a BLUE car this must have been Barrier with blue interior with blue wheels, little tooooo much for me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 PM

teletransport

It's true, though. I had my sister put them up for sale, and told her NOT to do that! We had a little chit-chat back and forth on that. Why she did it, I'll still never know. Guy who bought them was the only bidder. He paid for shipping, (which she estimated for) and I either lost $1.68 on the deal, or made $1.68. Forgot which. Incidently, I WILL have items up for sale shortly, as I intend to "beam" out of here very soon.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Wob

I sanded away at the paint on one of the wheels a little bit today - I found it was just blue!

Also, found out there was no blue sprint stripe....so I'm having one made
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Not all steel wheels were black. I don't have the list, but some of the colors had color matched wheels. White was not one of them. A white car would of had black wheels originally. Barrier blue would have had blue wheels, if memory serves.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Wob

Great info. Thanks!

Never have I seen anything but black. Well maybe I will have the first blue wheels, blue stripe, white Sprint then
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 08:56 PM

I was reading on a site onetime that in the case of the tempest,tempest custom,lemans and gto that if they had wheel disk they got black steel wheels, if they had the dog dish caps then the wheels were painted to match the car. if that's true is it possible someone had the dealer add the wheel disk to a car that was already on the lot or were added later?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in