User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Wheels for my 68 lemans???

Hey guys....... I believe I'm going to be purchasing a 68 lemans convert this weekend, but I just hate the aluminum mag wheels the guy had on it..... I really love the Pontiac rally II wheels, but I'm not sure how to go about getting some? Does a guy find them at auto salvage yard, blast and paint them, or do you go buy some new aftermarket rally II wheels? Did they come factory all the same width, like 8" wide all the way around? Or did they have 9" on the back, and 8" on the fronts?
another question I have is, tire size...... I like a little bit wider stance tire. Does a guy go with 60's on the rear and 70's on the front? or just go 60's all the way around?

Anybody have any examples on what they did to their cars?

Thanks in advance.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
They were the same width all around the car. 6" in the '60's, and in the '70's some were 7' wide. The 7x14 's on my '67 GTO pictured came off a junkyard '71 Firebird in 1988 for $20 apiece and were bolted right on. Only now do they show signs of needing to be repainted. I'm running 225/70/14's all the way around, and have been for years. Wider than stock, they fill the wells and look, ride, and handle well. They are also the same diameter as stock spec tires, so the speedometer stays calibrated. If you go the used rim route, be sure to check the center lug holes to make sure they are not wallowed out oversize. You can also mix and match widths, diameters, anything you want....14" tires are harder to find these days, so some 15" rally 2's from the 1970's might serve you better than the originals. These wheels are very common and not very pricey. Repainting them is labor intensive, though.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
They were the same width all around the car. 6" in the '60's, and in the '70's some were 7' wide. The 7x14 's on my '67 GTO pictured came off a junkyard '71 Firebird in 1988 for $20 apiece and were bolted right on. Only now do they show signs of needing to be repainted. I'm running 225/70/14's all the way around, and have been for years. Wider than stock, they fill the wells and look, ride, and handle well. They are also the same diameter as stock spec tires, so the speedometer stays calibrated. If you go the used rim route, be sure to check the center lug holes to make sure they are not wallowed out oversize. You can also mix and match widths, diameters, anything you want....14" tires are harder to find these days, so some 15" rally 2's from the 1970's might serve you better than the originals. These wheels are very common and not very pricey. Repainting them is labor intensive, though.
Thank you much for the info, very informative! I like the 15" idea. Would you use the same tire size then for height & width ( 225/70/15 ) ?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tires

I'm running 15/7 Rally II rims on my '66. 245 60 r15 all the way around.(Drum brakes on all 4's, though).No problems. Painted the rims myself with Rally II stencil kit. No two ways about it--- THEY LOOK HOT!!!!! (the 245's are wide, but I don't think you could go much taller without losing some width, though-when we got new tires, the shop actually had a tire chart of what would fit, though we had already decided on what we wanted). P.S. got the rims on e-bay, all told, cost around $225-WITH SHIPPING!! (course, it took ALOT of looking to get that deal, but well worth it!)

Last edited by gjones; 12-14-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: P.S.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I'm running aftermarket (from Vintage Wheel - not Wheel Vintiques) Rallye II's on my car. 15X7 (4.25" back space) with 235-60/15 BFG's on the front, 15X8 (4.5" back space) with 275-60/15 Nitto drag radials on the rear.

I just looked for the Vintage Wheels site and coudn't find it, but it appears that Coker Tire is now offering the same/similar wheels:
Pontiac Rallye II - Rallye Wheels - Wheels

Here's a few photos of my car wearing them, for reference:

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bear that looks great! Excuse my ignorance, but the the spacer just move the wheel out from the hub?

How do post pics that size? The few I've tried are small until you click on them.

LJ
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Took me awhile to figure out what you meant by "spacer" ---- When I said my front wheels have 4.25" backspacing and my rears have 4.5" backspacing, I was referring to how the wheels are made. There's 4.25 inches from the back side of the mounting flange (the part that touches the axle hub) to the edge of the wheel where the tire bead seats. In some circles this is also referred to as wheel "offset".

To include images like that in posts, you have to first have them hosted on a web site somewhere so that anyone can display them in a web browser by typing in the URL's of the photos. I use my own web server because I have one, but lots of folks use picture sharing sites like photobucket for this.
Then to include a photo in a post, you have to put in the "secret code" that looks like this:
[[img]]http://url of your photo[[/img]]
I had to "double" the square bracket characters so you could see them, but in actual practice you just type them once.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, does it matter if I still have drum brakes on the car? Will the same 15" rally II wheels fit on a drum or rotor setup?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Does not matter, clearance issues can arise with 14" rallye's and disc brake kits. 15's work fine with drums. Mine had drums and now has 4 wheel discs from rightstuff. Here's my car wearing 15" rallye II's:
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Flambeau, that's exactly what I needed to know.....

This site is great..... Alot of knowledge here to learn...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in