(EDIT: The links should work now)
I have a '70 GTO with buckets and a console. With the seat all the way back the steering wheel still felt like it was in my chest compared to my regular ride. I get it. When this car was produced, manual steering was still a thing. That's why you had to sit closer and use a big wheel to get enough leverage to muscle this thing around.
I've heard that seat track extenders were supposed to be a factory optional accessory, but I've never seen any mention of them let alone pictures of an installation. Enough of the major restoration parts suppliers make them so I bought a set thinking "How hard could it be?" Since receiving mine, the only thing I found online about these things was a YouTube video by some guy asking
how to do it. So, I thought I'd share my experience.
Like I said, you can get these things anywhere. I just happened to get mine from The Parts Place, via eBay.
Here's what I ordered: http://www.ljklusza.net/images/Seat ...s received.JPG
Here is the label with the "Installation instructions": http://www.ljklusza.net/images/Seat ...rs/2_label.JPG
I take it they mean that the brackets are sandwiched between the seat bottoms and each seat track. Well, that won't work for a couple of reasons.
First, if you bolted the bracket to the bottom of the seat, you'd have to cut the plastic vinyl lower seat wrap-arounds to let them stick out the front: http://www.ljklusza.net/images/Seat ...3_poorfit1.JPG
Doing that would also have a 2-inch piece of angle bracket digging into the back of your calf or snagging your clothing.
Second, it won't work because the brackets are flat and the seat tracks are curved: http://www.ljklusza.net/images/Seat ...5_poorfit3.JPG
So, it seems that in order to use these things at all requires them to be mounted on the floor in place of the seat. You would then mount the seats in the new position, 2 inches back. Everyone already knows that modern cars do not have flat, symmetrical floors. There is a difference in mounting points between front to back as well as left (door side) and right (console side). This leaves one with the job of selective cutting and bending to achieve the proper fit.
Because the brackets are channels, they don't fit under the carpet without looking goofy, so they must be mounted on top. Another possibility is to cut out the carpet around them but I don't really care to do that. Well, after some cutting and bending, I got them to fit very nicely: http://www.ljklusza.net/images/Seat ...6_cuttofit.JPG
. I mounted the seats and did a test ride. They worked perfectly and the extra room was much appreciated.
I marked each one and recorded the measurements: the right (console) side: http://www.ljklusza.net/images/Seat ...surements1.JPG
. Next the left (door sill) side: http://www.ljklusza.net/images/Seat ...surements2.JPG
Here's a pic of them side by side: http://www.ljklusza.net/images/Seat ...surements3.JPG
. Looking closely you'll notice that I got a bit carried away making the "V" cuts for the "up" bends. If you work slowly and cut judiciously, you can just weld up the little cuts instead of having to weld on little braces: http://www.ljklusza.net/images/Seat .../11_welded.JPG
However, once they're painted, they look great: http://www.ljklusza.net/images/Seat ...2_finished.JPG
. More importantly, they work as originally intended. The 2 inches of exposed extender is attractively painted and flat on the floor, safely out of reach of clothing or calf muscles.
I hope people interested in this upgrade find my experience helpful. If anyone is interested, I can produce this in downloadable .PDF document form and make it available upon request. Just PM me and I'll get it to you as soon as I can get it done.