67 GTO Seat back headaches. Lil long. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
67 GTO Seat back headaches. Lil long.

OK here's the story. Ordered the plastic seat backs from OPG and tried to install on recently restored 67 bucket seats. the fit was awful and not even close to lining up especially with original screw holes on the bottom and the seat back button was way off too. Noticed the seat backs were stamped "The Parts Place". OPG took them back with no problem and suggested I try Ames Performance. So I did and the Ames product looks like better quality but the area at the top where the seat backs hang on the 2 clips are too deep and prevents the seat back from fitting up against the seat frame. there is over a 1/2" of space easy. that also keeps me from being able to line up the seat back release button. Ames tech told me he didn't have a 67 seat to test fit his seat backs on after we confirmed my seat backs are the same length and width as his in the warehouse. So I asked if I could return the item if I attempt to trim the upper mounting point on the seat back, and of course he said no. I think it's crazy I can't find an exact replacement part that fits without an issue so has anyone had this issue. And what was the solution. I'm willing to mod the panel if there is no other option. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to ask .... Does anyone know if the clips that screw in to the seat frame that the seat backs hang on are available anywhere? I have 2 but need 2.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brer Rabbit View Post
Forgot to ask .... Does anyone know if the clips that screw in to the seat frame that the seat backs hang on are available anywhere? I have 2 but need 2.
I would call or email these guys about the clips and seat back and see what they say.

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/catalyst.aspx

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Doing that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
I would call or email these guys about the clips and seat back and see what they say.

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/catalyst.aspx
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Franks Pontiac Parts in Twenty Nine Palms Ca. might be able to help with the correct original parts you need.
Good luck.
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in