User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Center console reconditioning

Are there any tutorials on how to restore a console? The paint on mine is looking poor but the chrome is all good, so I`d like to learn how to do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I restored my auto console a few months ago, here are the steps I took.

Seperate the top from the base, clean the base with a mild cleaner and steel wool to remove dirt and loose paint, rinse with clean water and air dry. Spray with a 60% gloss the original color.

Clean lamp housings and spray with Chrome paint if needed, most all housings and lenses are available thru after market guys like Year one.

On the top I used a mild cleaner and a brush to clean between the ridges and remove loose paint, dry it with a hair dryer. Make sure all water is gone before spraying.

Tape off the large areas of chrome on the sides, front and rear. do not tape off the ridges in the center. Spray with flat 0% gloss and use lacquer thinner to remove the paint from the top of the ridges. I used a shop cloth with a small amount of lacquer thinner to clean the paint off of the ridges.

Good luck and post some pictures when your finished.

Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in