Correct Transmission Hole in Floor? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Correct Transmission Hole in Floor?

Hi folks. Redoing a '67 GTO. This thin came form the factory with an automatic in it and at some point the owner cut a hole in the floor and put in a 4 speed. When I say cut a hole, I mean it. This thing looks like it was done with leftover parts from the workbench! Anyway, I'm redoing it the right way. What i need to get are the dimensions to correctly place the opening as well as it's actual size. I can cut/weld/patch to make it correct. Anybody have a manual with the floorpan layout for a manual '67?
Thanks!
Shooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Manual trans cars have a 'hump' installed over the floor. Most shade tree guys just hacked the floor. Good news is the hump is available from just about any GTO restoration supply house. Called a 'shifter porch', and BTW, console / non-console is different(?)

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Yup, I've seen these. Now where does it go? (inches from side/front)?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:17 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Yup, I've seen these. Now where does it go? (inches from side/front)?

Here are pics of my '68 Lemans - had the 3-speed manual transmission. The "shifter porch" is shaped so as to fit where it follows the contour of the driveshaft tunnel. I show the measurements just to give an idea of how it locates. Looks to be 4" from the floor rib to the front of the cover.

I included the front console bracket location if you or anyone else needs to add it. The bolts are not even, they are off set on the bracket with the left one being further down leg. Looks like it is the center slot that the console screw goes into that is actually centered. I measured off from the trans tunnel where it meets the floor and created the flat spot. The distance from that point to the front of the console bracket measured 3 inches. That should get you close enough to attach a console.

The third pick shows the location of the shift hole in the cover should you have some aftermarket cover which is not as factory. This would at least give you an idea to the shifter hole location and possibly where to cut a hole in your floor if adding a manual transmission. The factory hole cut into my floor is not pretty, so I suspect just a basic hole was hacked into the floor knowing that the shifter cover was to be sealed and placed over it along with a console.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 1968 Shift cover.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	92169   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 1968 Console Bracket.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	92177   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 1968 Shifr cover.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	92185  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

You're my hero - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in