Dash noise - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dash noise

Hello all. Wanted to share something I just went through in regards to noise coming from the general area of my dashboard. I have a 66 that I restored about 2 years ago. While I don't mind noise that is supposed to be there, random rattles, knocks and vibrations drive me insane. Ever since I completed the project I've made it a point every so often to locate and fix anything that was audible while driving down the road. Anyway, for some time I've had an intermittent knock coming from somewhere in the dash behind and/or around the steering column. I've gotten back under the dash a good 6 or 7 times over the last 12 months or so trying to locate the source and correct whatever was the cause...something loose, something rubbing against something else, etc. To this point I've had no success locating the noise and it had been driving me absolutely nuts. So today I decided to take another whack at it and get back under the dash. I tried a few different things with no change. I'd change something and drive it, but no effect on the noise. My other problem has been that I hadn't been able to recreate the noise while sitting in park. Anyway, after a few attempts today I became very frustrated and literally started randomly pushing and pulling on anything and everything just trying to get lucky. Finally after a few minutes I just happened to hit MY KEYS with my hand causing the door lock key that hangs from the key ring to swing and knock against the dash. I sat there staring, realizing my noise had been that key randomly hitting the dash all along as I drove and the car would hit bumps or drive along less than smooth roads. I was both thankful for finally locating the source of my misery and feeling completely stupid for not noticing something as simple as this sooner. Anyway, sorry for being so long winded, but was just one of those pulling your hair out situations. Glad I finally located it so that I can have some sanity back 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I was sitting in the passenger seat of my brother's relatively new car last year. He asked if I could hear the rattle, as his wife was really on his back about it. I reached up and moved his clip on visor garage remote an inch or 2. Rattle stopped. He swore a blue streak. When we got back to his house and he proudly proclaimed to his wife that the rattle was gone, she jumped all over him for not discovering it sooner. Of course it was one of those noises that you can't tell where it was coming from. About a month ago I finally convinced Dodge to replace the blower motor in my '13 Durango. There was a whine they couldn't hear. Whine now gone.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:40 PM

I carry a lot of keys and apparently everyone in my family has because right below the ignition switch the paint is wore off from years apon years of keys hanging. I too have heard the rattle only to realize what it was later. Ha let's blame it on a design flaw fellas ha

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Amen brother. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Onward and upward!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I have a separate key ring for the GTO with only those two keys so there's not the weight of the other keys on the tumbler. Plus then I don't hear that noise.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 05:27 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you need louder pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in