Dash pad questions - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dash pad questions

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have a million questions but I'll start with this one. When using a dash pad cover versus the actual dash does it have to slide over the old crusty dash. I wouldn't think anyone would want an old cracked, crusty dash under a new dash cover. At least I wouldn't. Can the original dash be taken out and the dash cover be put in its place? This is not a resto but a race car build. I recall an episode of street outlaws when Chief debuts the crow. It shows him painting pieces of the interior. I swear it looked as if he put a plastic dash cover over the bare dash. There was no gauge cluster or anything. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
As far as I am aware they are caps/covers that are adhered to/over the pad.

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Not sure I understand the question, so I may be way off base.

The dash pad is a vinyl/foam over tin assembly that bolts to the dash. There are some screws and a stud or 2 that attach the pad to the dash. You can replace the pad or discard it if you don't mind a few extra holes.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 06:27 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
have ran across a similar deal. '69 GTO racecar builder took a '69 LeMans/GTO plastic dash asm cover, then cut out two partial holes where his front rollcage hoop front bars came through. Then he took his time with a small diamond pattern thin expanded metal & trimmed & fit multiple pieces for support, rivetting this new mesh structure together. Last, he taped off the edges of the plastic cover, gauges holes, & shot an expandable foam on the back side, then trimmed everything with a razor blade. Was told he saved 7 lbs, & honestly it looked pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in