1Likes
  • 1 Post By GTOJUNIOR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dim Dash lights in 67 GTO

Just got my car back frommy mechanic and noticed that on the drive home at night that I could barely see the dash despite the lights turned all the way up. I have just purchased the car and haven't really driven it. Can some point me to a step by step approach to fixing this problem. pictures or video would be helpfull or a book with instructions.

MGS-67-GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 08:04 AM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
There are 7 bulbs in the general illumination circuit in a daisy chain 8 if you have the stock radio, I had the same problem and changed them out with 12V cool white ultra bright LEDs.
The cool whites have a slight blue tint that look good with the gauges.

BA9S-WHP Cool White

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/958/

This retrofit will fix the problem and they are bright enough that you will have to use your dimmer to tame them down.

There is also Diode Dynamics that is a sponsor of this site, contact them with the part number and I am sure they can hook you up.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The first thing I would do is the fuse box. Check to see if all your contacts are clean and rust free. Are your dash lenses yellowed ? Look at them during the daylight hours to see if they look clear. The last thing would be to pull the dash and replace the bulbs. Replacements have a better filament power and there are LED's available if you want to go that route.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Also confirm good grounding, Not un-common to have ground issue that can and will effect many things such as lighting.You can do a quick test by making a jumper wire with alligator clips on each end and just clamp one to the metal gauge housing and/or switch grounding strap/bracket and the other to any clean metal surface of the body/dash. Whenever I re-install dashes I always add additional ground straps to the housing.
pjw1967 likes this.

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would start with checking the grounds. The switches are grounded to the cluster by brackets. The gauge cluster is grounded by a bracket mounted to the back of the speedometer to the pedal mount. The dash bezel is plastic and will not ground without these parts. As previously stated you can test the grounds with a piece of wire. If the grounds check out it might be the headlight switch. The dimmer may be corroded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash-1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	84874   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash-2.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	84882  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
those are all great suggestions, Has anybody replaced those without pulling the dash?

and also how difficult to pull the whole dash? been under their for wiring switches and ductwork, but have not yet upgraded those bulbs to LED....

Goat Roper did you do it with the dash installed?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:29 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans guy View Post
those are all great suggestions, Has anybody replaced those without pulling the dash?

and also how difficult to pull the whole dash? been under their for wiring switches and ductwork, but have not yet upgraded those bulbs to LED....

Goat Roper did you do it with the dash installed?
No, my dash was a can of worms and Mr. Goodpliers had done a number on my A/C unit which had to be restored.
I tore it all down to replace the speaker and in the process cleaned the gauge package and removed and repaired all the hacks done to the loom.
You can get to them by removing the ducts and the radio to get to the heater control.
My control also needed to be restored, I had to replace the contact leaves in the switches and the hoses as well as replace the vac can on the engine side with the proper dual port unit and properly route the hoses.
The cable was also installed upside down, basically all the repairs previously done were all done wrong.
One thing just led to another and since I pulled the steering column I also rebuilt it, new rag joint etc.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Thanks GR, I have had that duct work out a number of times, comes out easy, tricky getting it back sometimes! When it is right the vents blow great thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in