Door panel emblem removal - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Door panel emblem removal

I just got my new interior kit and am now in the process of moving the trim pieces from the old door panels to the new ones, but not really sure how to got the GTO emblem push on clips off the pegs with out breaking them...any ideas would be great help. Thanks
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	72505 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	977.3 KB
ID:	72513
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Do you have an eye glass tool kit laying around? The flat blade screw driver in it works quite well for getting in between the slots and gently pulling up on them. Ideally, one on each side works even better. Lightly tap the clips when off with a small hammer to reshape them for installation. I mean lightly.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:01 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
have ran across a BUNCH of the potmetal posts broken off the backs of original GTO doorpanel emblems by guys trying to carefully remove them. Over the years have had a lot of GTO guys drop by wanting a nice used door panel emblem. Even had one that eyed the original swirled GTO emblems on the blue doorpanels from my '71 Judge and went to prying on it. I could have killed him!

Instead of prying the clips off, many years ago, i began carefully cutting the stamped steel clips with the thin abrasive wheel in my Dremel tool, then using new clips from Ace Hardware. the clips aren't exact but one never sees them when the doorpanels are installed.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I carefully pryed them off using 2 very small pics..then used lineman pliers to squash the clips back down..worked great, thanks guys.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	72521
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
have ran across a BUNCH of the potmetal posts broken off the backs of original GTO doorpanel emblems by guys trying to carefully remove them. Over the years have had a lot of GTO guys drop by wanting a nice used door panel emblem. Even had one that eyed the original swirled GTO emblems on the blue doorpanels from my '71 Judge and went to prying on it. I could have killed him!

Instead of prying the clips off, many years ago, i began carefully cutting the stamped steel clips with the thin abrasive wheel in my Dremel tool, then using new clips from Ace Hardware. the clips aren't exact but one never sees them when the doorpanels are installed.
I have used this method for years on plastic pinball parts made of unobtainium.
I would submerge the part in water while cutting off the push nuts, my local parts guy carries a selection of them so I would rather sacrifice the nut than chance breaking off a post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in