Home-upholstery job - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Home-upholstery job

My 67 interior is original with the seat covers still in reasonable shape. That being said, sitting on the buckets and particularly the rear bench feels like sitting on sunken foam. I plan on ordering kits from Legendary and pretty sure I can handle the bench re-do but not so confident on the buckets. For those of you that have done them, were you happy with the results or in retrospect is it best to farm this out to the pros? I've watched their videos and can follow directions but don't want to ruin new materials.

Also, did you media blast the frames/springs or go the route of evaporust or similar product? Did you seal them with paint?

Andy
'67 GTO/Signet Gold over Parchment/Pontiac Built
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
My wife and I did the two buckets with legendary kit in the summer. All new springs, foam as well. You define timely need a helper and go slow. It is a tough job, but you can do it. Ours turned out great, looks really super.

The frames were in great shape, thought about paining them, but 50 years they looked that good with no coating, so thought the factory did ok on that and left them bare, they are covered of course.

Get the best hog ring pliers and lots of hog rings...it tales more than you think, take you time and get it straight. We did one one week and one the next...did not rush it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 11:37 PM

I would recommend doing the springs as well....you won't want to do it again, and it makes the real difference

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

I've read some reviews saying to stay clear of repro springs. Better to find a used set or repair the ones I've got. Any issues with yours? The underside of my bench looks intact but I haven't had the covers off the buckets to inspect their condition.

Andy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:08 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Have had a bunch of strato buckets recovered with repro covers. Up until about 10 years ago, my upholstery guy would build up the original foam on the bolsters, wouldn't replace the foam. As time has marched on, the core bucket seats I get in, just aren't as nice as they used to be, and replacing seat foam buns is a must.

The first repro bucket seat foam I bought was from the AZ bunch, as the bucket seat springs set up high and firm, didn't replace them. Those particular seats have held up well. Some seats, one can tell, the springs set to low, too much seat time on them, have several '68 buckets like that, the frames are nice, but need complete lower seat springs replaced.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

I plan to order the ACI buns. The car has 86k on it and 79k of those miles were driven by my mom who is on the small side at 5'2". I'm sure the drivers side will show some wear but I'm hoping the springs are salvageable.

Andy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 09:02 PM

I think the spring change made the biggest difference. I am 4th the owner and have the original window sticker and documented mileage, buy hey they are 50 years old and lose their temper.

I don't guess you can get any but repop springs, NOS be pretty hard to locate. They looked great and sit great, 100 times better. Not sure the foam alone would have made much difference. Legendary gets em from a sub contractor, but I am just glad they make em....

With new springs, foam and batting all around and the New covers....should get lot's of miles!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Did you do both the lower springs and seat backs or just the lowers? I'm buying the covers from Legendary but I'm considering buying the foams and springs locally. NPD carries ACI and repro springs and they have a warehouse near my office. Could save me a lot on shipping. I'm assuming springs come from a limited number of suppliers for these cars.

Andy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 10:12 AM

Did both back and lowers, everything new but frame, I bought them from Legendary at the Good Guys show, so I show sale price. I agree that there can only be a couple of makers, I think mine came from Arkansas? Maybe.

I like NPD as well, good service and fast shipping. Nothing but good from them...

Good luck, it is a tough job, but you can do it with a helper, I did have to trim the foam a little..they turned out grear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in