User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Interior color change opinions?

Ok so i know I'm going to hear the negative feed back from hardcore gto guys lol buuuuut I hate the sandlewood int color which is the original color it came with and wondering by me changing the color to black since I would think that's a more desirable color anyways would that decrease the value a lot? A part of me says screw take that risk do what I want but since the car is completely original matching numbers i don't want it to hurt the value a whole lot. I need to do the interior anyways cuz the PO did a horrible job!! and I was going to order OPGI stage 2 https://www.opgi.com/gto/1970/interi...ior-kits/G203/ what do think for the price and is there better deals then this..what the pro or con by me doing this? Your opinions are appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 11:16 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR70GTO View Post
Ok so i know I'm going to hear the negative feed back from hardcore gto guys lol buuuuut I hate the sandlewood int color which is the original color it came with and wondering by me changing the color to black since I would think that's a more desirable color anyways would that decrease the value a lot? A part of me says screw take that risk do what I want but since the car is completely original matching numbers i don't want it to hurt the value a whole lot. I need to do the interior anyways cuz the PO did a horrible job!! and I was going to order OPGI stage 2 https://www.opgi.com/gto/1970/interi...ior-kits/G203/ what do think for the price and is there better deals then this..what the pro or con by me doing this? Your opinions are appreciated
Black seats will get very hot in a convertible in Ca. in the summer.
That and the fact it is an original car I would go with the lighter original color.
Shop around, OPGI has a lot of the same stuff as PY but at a higher price.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Honestly the heat doesn't bother me because Its only my weekend car. I'm more worried about value..btw what's PY?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Ames Performance Engineering, Classic GTO Parts, Firebird Parts, and Full Size Pontiac restoration parts.

A lot of these Pontiac guys are real sticklers on parts matching cars, I have had the wrong bolts pointed out on mine so yes it will hurt the value.
(I put the proper bolts on my parts list and ordered them).
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 02:58 AM

I have a 71 that is waiting for restoration that has the same sandlewood interior. A friend of mine who restores cars told me i should change the interior color but there is no way I am going to. This friend has restored many cars in the past 20 years so many people will tell you that it will decrease the value but he has found that it really doesn't matter when it comes to selling if you find the right buyer. On the other hand though he does agree that to get the very top dollar out of your car it typically needs to be all original. Who knows, the black interior may help it sell one day because that's what a buyer is looking for and doesn't care about 100% original. So what i'm saying is that there are pros and cons and it depends on the situation. No regrets!

But one last note, this friend of mine also reccommended that I make my 71 gto into a judge clone, he thought it would sell easier that way as he had done it to a GTO he had. I just laughed and told him it sounded like a pretty ridiculous idea
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 04:52 AM

To each their own right? I am in the at the end if tearing my gto apart. Non orginal engine trans and interior. But when I bought the car it didn't have these things. An all original numbers matching car IMHO should stay that way. Sounds like you want to do alot of tinkering. List it sell it use the cash to buy/build what you want. But for the original question keep it original. But I know nothing.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:00 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
The color change is your choice, if your red '70 convert had the saddle interior, can state many would would prefer it with a sandelwood interior. Is there an ivory interior for '70? If so that might be a better choice than a "cooker" black interior

Just my .02, but I wouldn't buy any interior kit with PUI seat covers and door panels and that's exactly what OPGI's overpriced kit includes. Legendary makes a much higher quality product than PUI.
In the 90's, many of us restorers ordered PUI interior pieces for GTO's, as that was the only choice. On the door and side panels, I ordered PUI's at whls several times and always ordered the PUI side and door panels unassembled and reused our steel upper inner panels along with attention to the thin cell foam used to cover the metal uppers. When done, one had a much more stock appearing upper area on these four PUI panels, than with their crappy preassembled panels, but the definition in PUI's dielectric moldings still would not match up with nice original panels.

Legendary has got it right in both respects, and you can find deals, Wellington Classics north of Denver has provided many Pontiac and Mopar friends with a good deal on Legendary orders.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
The color change is your choice, if your red '70 convert had the saddle interior, can state many would would prefer it with a sandelwood interior. Is there an ivory interior for '70? If so that might be a better choice than a "cooker" black interior, and that's basically what you will have, been there...

Just my .02, but I wouldn't buy any interior kit with PUI seat covers and door panels and that's exactly what OPGI's overpriced kit includes. Legendary makes a much higher quality product than PUI.
In the 90's, many of us restorers ordered PUI interior pieces for GTO's, as that was the only choice. On the door and side panels, I ordered PUI's at whls several times and always ordered the PUI side and door panels unassembled and reused our steel upper inner panels along with attention to the thin cell foam used to cover the metal uppers. When done, one had a much more stock appearing upper area on these four PUI panels, than with their crappy preassembled panels, but the definition in PUI's dielectric moldings still would not match up with nice original panels.

Legendary has got it right in both respects, and you can find deals, Wellington Classics north of Denver has provided many Pontiac and Mopar friends with a good deal on Legendary orders.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
The color change is your choice, if your red '70 convert had the saddle interior, can state many would would prefer it with a sandelwood interior. Is there an ivory interior for '70? If so that might be a better choice than a "cooker" black interior, and that's basically what you will have, been there...

After long thought I'm going black the heat doesn't bother me especially when it a weekend car,as for value I think the way I'm resto modding this goat it will look better with black interior and if I loose a lil value I'll gain with look lol.. That saddle wood is killing me lol but your saying that OPGI is over priced??? For 1400 that stage 2 gives you everything!!?? I priced out legendary and it 300 more with less things??
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
After long thought I'm going black the heat doesn't bother me especially when it a weekend car,as for value I think the way I'm resto modding this goat it will look better with black interior and if I loose a lil value I'll gain with look lol.. That saddle wood is killing me lol but your saying that OPGI is over priced??? For 1400 that stage 2 gives you everything!!?? I priced out legendary and it 300 more with less things??
Have you examined PUI fake comfortweave seatcovers and Legendary's? How about both company's door and side panels? Have you called Wellington Classics & had them give you a quote on the Legendary assembled door panels, side panels and front and rear seat covers? They discount. In order to compare prices with OPGI on their PUI junk, you would have pay extra, above the "kit" price to buy those 4 panels assembled, or factor in labor to properly install nice used upper steel tops.

The OPGI kit hardly includes everything, for one thing, usually nice to rougher '68, and '69-72 GM strato bucket seats need replacement rear plastic panels, as they are chalky or scraped up...there arenone in this "kit". Having ordered, picked up, and installed repro interior parts for a bunch of late '60's and early 70's A & F body's, I seldom order the tar and paper carpet underlayment kits. Same deal with armrest bases. On the sill plates, there are two different repro's, I use nos GM that have installed he mall rivets in. Those have been disco'ed but there are two different repro's.

Getting back to the plastic seatback panels, over the years, there have been 3 different reproductions of the '69-72 strato bucket seat back panels. With the first two reproductions, the grain of the plastic was waaaay different than original, the first supplier was actually PUI, and the chrome piping was a thin flexible welting, attached with clear silicone...junk. want to bet what piping you're getting in the "kit" is today's cheap thin flexible stuff.

Carpet... ACC is what I've always bought, after trying a few cheaper house brands like Hugger Performance. For many years, I bought premolded sets of ACC carpet for $8o-85 a box, often bringing it in from out of town and selling it for $100 a set. While ACC carpets sets have gone up in price, ACC carpet be bought local from many vendors who have a whls acct, and its the best quality repro carpet, one can buy. There are some cheap imitators out there, I would insist in ACC, mention that though wouldbe forewarned, if you put black carpet in a car that sees a lot of sun exposure, expect to have to pull the carpet out and redye it black, or replace it in about 5 years, as it very common to get a very slight purple tint to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in